My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2

Sitting around doing nothing so I decided to put another lower together. This one is all Palmetto State Armory with the MOE grip, trigger guard, and butt stock.

The pesky pivot pin spring and detent gave me fits until the fifth try I was able to get the pin started properly. Never launched the detent or spring because I kept a thumb over them.

Then the disconnector felt like it was binding and I couldn't get any movement in order to align the hole to get the trigger pin set.

Once those two things were taken care of everything else went smooth.

I haven't decided what upper to mate it with yet.

dscf0125.jpg  

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

SWEET!
I'm out in nearly 100deg temps getting our trailer ready for a trip.
Yours looks like much more fun

Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have an upper we can put on that lower. I'll shoot you my FFLs address

Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Actually I was thinking about a Delta .300 Blackout.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Actually I was thinking about a Delta .300 Blackout.
Well I guess lol

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2421 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

CAR54

Most generally if you can not get the disconnector to push down to align the disconnector with the trigger. The Disconnector Spring is upside down. The large coil goes into the trigger housing and the small end sets with the window of the disconnector on it.

Installing the Pivot Pin:

The pivot pin issue and maybe some help for all here who are building a lower. You can go to the hardware and buy a clevis pin that will fit into the pivot pin hole on the receiver. The Clevis Pin has a hole on one end which you can slip the spring through the hole and then into the receiver. Then put the detent on top of the spring through the hole in the Clevis Pin. Depress the Detent with a punch and rotate the clevis pin retaining the detent. Remove the punch and install the Pivot Pin pushing out the clevis pin and while pressing down hard install the Pivot Pin. (*Position the Pivot Pin so when installing the radius sides face the detent! Do not install it with the Detent Track or the Pin Hole facing the Detent.) Or get a Pivot Pin Installation Tool from Brownells. But the Clevis Pin is cheap!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
CAR54

Most generally if you can not get the disconnector to push down to align the disconnector with the trigger. The Disconnector Spring is upside down. The large coil goes into the trigger housing and the small end sets with the window of the disconnector on it.

The pivot pin issue and maybe some help for all here who are building a lower. You can go to the hardware and buy a clevis pin that will fit into the pivot pin hole on the receiver. The Clevis Pin has a hole on one end which you can slip the spring through the hole and then into the receiver. Then put the detent on top of the spring through the hole in the Clevis Pin. Depress the Detent with a punch and rotate the clevis pin retaining the detent. Remove the punch and install the Pivot Pin pushing out the clevis pin and while pressing down hard install the Pivot Pin. (*Position the Pivot Pin so when installing the radius sides face the detent! Do not install it with the Detent Track or the Pin Hole facing the Detent.) Or get a Pivot Pin Installation Tool from Brownells. But the Clevis Pin is cheap!!!

Where's the fun in that...any builder worth his salt has a flying detent spring story to tell...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Really??? PM with details if applicable...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
CAR54

Sniper,

I made a tool that worked fine on my first lower, this one I just couldn't coordinate the pin while tapping out the tool. As the pin and the tool passed over the detent, I didn't push down the tool hard enough to keep the detent down to have the pin slide over it.

With the disconnector, it was tight when I set it on the trigger, and when I pushed down it became so tight I had to use a lot of force to pull it back out. There was some coating that scraped off one side so I'm thinking the disconnector had some extra metal or coating on it. It wasn't the spring. Everything works fine doing function tests.

I appreciate the comeback though.
dscf0127.jpg  

Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Really??? PM with details if applicable...
I was just messing w/ Car54 trying to get him to donate his lower