Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My Second Build is Complete - 300 Blackout Ultimate Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
First round of loads for Saturday morning's shoot... 130 gr Hornady XTPs sitting on 18.5 grains of Winchester 296.

Attachment 105686
That there is a thing of beauty sir!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 937 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho

That there is a thing of beauty sir!
Why thank you! Loading my own ammo has become another one of my addictions.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
Oh crap!...now I need to go and drop $1K+ for a 300blk build. And then if I go into it that far, I may as well set it up for max potential (suppression)...so a $400-600 can, a $200 tax stamp, optics...and now I've got a caliber that requires additional investment in reloading.

Thanks a lot, you just punched a $2500 hole in my financial well-being. Seriously though, cool gun. A 300blk setup is on my 'short list' at the moment. Mine will probably have most of the options mentioned above, and I hope to start it soon. I hope your's treats you really well.

Nice build.
Ha ha ha ha! Thank you. If this one gets your blood pumping, then my next build will surely push you over the edge!

image-820089467.jpg
WMD NiB-X coated stripped upper - ALREADY HAVE

image-1248549447.jpg
WMD NiB-X coated BCG - ALREADY HAVE

image-2057577371.jpg
WMD NiB-X coated magazine - ALREADY HAVE

image-2886399241.jpgimage-2194521725.jpgimage-3393532749.jpg
Spikes tactical Multi-Cal stripped lower that I am going to engrave the punisher spider on the mag well and then send to WMD and have it NiB-X coated. I ran logo on a anodized aluminum plate the painted it silver to get the effect that I should achieve on the lower. - ALREADY HAVE

image-437383241.jpg
Rainier Arms Ultra Match Barrel - 14 1/2" 300 AAC Blackout - ALREADY HAVE ORDERED WITH TRACKING #

image-2118315272.jpgimage-346353485.jpg
Seekins Precision Advanced Tactical Compensator SS which will be permanently pinned to barrel - ALREADY HAVE ORDERED WITH TRACKING #

image-2791910667.jpg
Lancer LCH5 9.25" carbon fiber Handguard - ORDERED BUT NO TRACKING YET

Will also be using a Magpul UBR stock, Timney trigger, and J.P. Enterprises Silent Captured Spring.

Very expensive, but hey I am building my dream gun!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20979 Times on 11923 Posts
Likes Given: 52591

really liking that AR! you did a great job on the build.

and that next one? that's looks like it's going to be pretty sweet too!

looking forward to seeing it finished. doing a great job with your builds.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #15

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho
msup- what can are going with? I've got another 4-5 months wait on an AAC 762-SDN6. Hopefully I find some sub-sonic ammo by then since I don't roll my own yet.
YHM Phantom QD titanium. It was about the same price as the AAC but 10 oz lighter. I believe the AAC meters a bit better.

My build is almost done. I am missing the Gisselle trigger but it is due to arrive on Monday. It was a bit frustrating and I dinged up the lower a bit but not bad for my first build.

Last edited by msup752; 06-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Love that Burris mount!! Got one myself even though I don't need it on my DD upper.. Just looks cool.. U should slide it a bit more forward and center the scope but that's just what I would do . Nice rifle.. Hoping to start a build like that soon, got a complete lower but no funds for the upper yet..

P.S. don't come walking into NY with that... It looks way to scarrrrryyyyyyyyyy for mr. Cuomo's state!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Just realized ur rear sight is holding the mount back.. Disregard my advice!!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
YHM Phantom QD titanium. It was about the same price as the AAC but 10 oz lighter. I believe the AAC meters a bit better.

My build is almost done. I am missing the Gisselle trigger but it is due to arrive on Monday. It was a bit frustrating and I dinged up the lower a bit but not bad for my first build.
Sweet can't wait to see it when it's done! I had to go with the AAC because the 8.2" Noveske barrel is tuned to use the AAC with subsonic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Went out to test out the 300 this morning as well as my brother's first 5.56 build. Well I learned one thing. The silent captured spring in my build configuration renders my gun into a single shot rifle. It will fire and eject the spent round but will not chamber the next round or lock open after the last round has been fired. So I spent the better part of the morning trying to figure out what was going on. Thought it was a magazine issue at first, so I tried Troy Battle mag, P-Mag and a thermold. All had the same results. Then thought it might be something in my lower so I took the upper off and put it on my Rock River lower (which also has the silent captured spring in it. Exact same results. Swapped BCG with the NiB BCG From the Rock River. Smoother pull back and chambering but still won't cycle. Where we were shooting is an hour away from my shop where I do have a carbine spring and buffer. Damn it! Why did I not take that with me? Did some reading and found out that I need to run a lighter (carbine buffer) setup in it. So I have to pull the stock off and unscrew the UBR's buffer tube enough to put in the spring and buffer retainer in, so I can put in a regular spring and carbine buffer in. Good news is that I got it on paper real quick but did not spend any time trying to zero the scope. I wanted to get the cycling issue fixed first. I am hoping I can sneak out there after work early this week for another test and hopefully have better results. Now the silent captured spring does run like a Swiss watch in my .223 Wylde chambered Rock River! The 300 blackout does have a much different report than the .223/5.56. Even I unsuppressed supersonics are not terribly loud. I could shoot it without hearing protection without making my ears ring. I do plan mon trying some lighter springs in the silent captured spring to se if I can make it work, but want to make sure I get it to cycle regularly first.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok so today I pulled off the UBR butt stock off and unscrewed the buffer tube just enough to get the buffer retaining pin in. Then put stock back on. Cleaned and greased everything with frog lube and reassembled with a carbine spring and 3 oz. carbine buffer. So I am now ready to go out and field test again, hopefully in the next couple of days. I wish a range would open back up here in town so I would not have to make an hour drive just to go run a few mags through it....