my new/old rehabed upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > my new/old rehabed upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default my new/old rehabed upper

thanks HighPlanesDrifter that upper is finally together.

its got a m16-a1 barrel 1:12 twist (my spare barrel want to find one more for a backup). RRA chrome plated BCG. the lower is the same lower i use for my 458 socom upper and my olympic 45acp upper. i havent shot it yet and wont be able to until spring. front sight post is from dpms and is .050 round style.

mycolt sp1 can retire after over 20 years of use. its just to hard to replace and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

triangle handguards one has a small couple of surface marks the plastic isnt scored.

chrome bcg from rra

for shihan, yes i have a bayonet for it!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-14-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool looking rifle Jon. I always thought it would be cool to build an older looking service rifle but with all of the new stuff like the newer feed ramps and bcg's that are out there. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #3

the true definition of KISS and as far as i go its a true shtf rifle, plain simple and dont have all those things hanging all over it, great looking rifle.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

if you count the lower total cost was around 770$ it was so low because i bought the barrel back some 10 years ago when peeps were throwing em away. sans lower just the complete upper cost me around 335$.

it mostly has new make stuff from the lower to the bcg the only real old stuff is the barrel which shot really well when i had it on my sp1 for a bit, round 200 shots. it doesnt need feed ramps as all thats going through it is 55grn fmj and 55 grn softpoint for yotes.

cant sight it in till spring :/

the lower needs either a good trigger job or a better trigger. its just the basic dpms milspec. once spring hits ill do range report with all its uppers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #5

You did good man. I love the rifle. When spring hits let us know how she shoots.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks good

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
the true definition of KISS and as far as i go its a true shtf rifle, plain simple and dont have all those things hanging all over it, great looking rifle.
if you ever have a chance to fire an old school AR it will change your religion. its so light fast and accurate. you dont need red dots holo sights etc. its just point and shoot. much like jmb's 1911 its a natural pointer.

its why i just never jumped on the tactical heavy barrel ar craze. i fell in love with my old sp1 from colt and never really looked at anything else. had a m16a2 in the army for the few times i carried one instead of an m60. couldnt stand it. the a2 was so heavy and slow.

thats why i jumped on the a1 upper high planesdrifter was selling. i already had the barrel and spare handguards. all i needed was the reciever and bcg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
You did good man. I love the rifle. When spring hits let us know how she shoots.
indeed i will. its part of a set now. the other pieces are a 45acp upper and a 458 socom upper. i would like to add a dedicated 22 upper at some point.

Last edited by JonM; 01-14-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #8

jon you are correct on the old school AR, i played with the m16 alot in southeast asia. i too like like, its what it was meant to be. i had an old Colt AR15 when i got home but sold it later years when i first got married, wish i still had the darn thing.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

nice not a big fan of the a2 style black rifles but they are still good to look at. sorry dont mean that to sound negative i just prefer a flat top is all. like the kiss look tho

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #10

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
nice not a big fan of the a2 style black rifles but they are still good to look at. sorry dont mean that to sound negative i just prefer a flat top is all. like the kiss look tho
It's an A1:P
Nice Rifle sir.... I plan me one one day soon

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------