My New DPMS .308 AP4 Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My New DPMS .308 AP4 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default My New DPMS .308 AP4 Carbine

I just picked it up this morning. It had everything I wanted, and the price was right. Removable carry handle with A-2 sights, plus a free floater forend, dust cover, and a forward assist. It came with 2, 20 round mags and the dealer threw in a 20 round Mag-Pul P-Mag which I really like. I'll be picking up a few more. I won't get a chance to crank it up until Monday, weather permitting.

This is my first .308 AR. I have a couple of Springfield M1-A's, and I'll be glad to see how this one stacks up. It seems like a nice, solid, well made rifle. Fit, finish, and overall feel look good, and I really like the sights. I'm still not used to the big magazine! When he handed me the Mag-Pul P-Mag I did a double take because I'm so used to .223. This thing looks like it's going to get shot a lot! Does anyone have any ammo recommendations? I've been running 42.0 Gr. of Varget under a 168 Gr. Sierra Matchking in all of my other .308's, and it's more or less been my "go to" round in that caliber because it runs well in all of my rifles. Anyway,I'm looking forward to lighting it up!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6625 Times on 3691 Posts
Likes Given: 6299

I think you're gonna love it. Mine has an ACOG TA31F mounted, and it's had over a thousand rounds of NATO ball without a stutter.

I like it far better than I did my old M1A.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Good luck with it, billt, it's sure a beauty! We definitely want a range report.

And what's this excuse "weather permitting"? In Glendale, AZ? Monsoon season late or something?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good luck with it, billt, it's sure a beauty! We definitely want a range report.

And what's this excuse "weather permitting"? In Glendale, AZ? Monsoon season late or something?
My wife told me we were supposed to get rain at the beginning of next week. But out here it wouldn't be smart to bet on it.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Bilit Congrats on the AP4! I have owned one for the past 7 years and have never regretted my purchase,it's very accurate and never has jammed or failed to fire. I take mine out to the range as well as in the woods for some whitetailin'

Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #6

That's good to hear! Nothing like a fellow shooter with the same make and model having good luck to boost my confidence.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

I went to the range this morning with the new .308 DPMS, and overall had a very good range session. The gun functioned flawlessly. No FTF or FTE's. The gun ate everything it was fed. I tried both DPMS magazines that came with the rifle and both fed 19 rounds each of Magtech 150 Gr. FMJ without a hitch. I then switched to the Mag-Pul P-Mag I had for all the rest of my shooting, because that is the magazine I will be purchasing several extras of. It ran fine with everything I stuffed in it.

At 8.25 pounds empty, the gun has very manageable recoil. Much less than a light .308 sporter like my Winchester Model 88 does. It was LOUD! Much louder than any .223 AR-15. Ejection was positive, but it did not damage or ding any of the brass. I don't have any optics on this rifle, and really don't intend to mount any. The standard A-2 sights were pretty close at 100 yards, where all my shooting was from. I had to adjust about 2 inches up and about 2 to 3 inches to the left, and everything after that was well central on the targets.

After about 50 rounds I switched to some handloads I had brought that were loaded with 42.0 Gr. of Varget under a Sierra 168 Gr. Matchking bullet. My eyes were getting used to the sights, and using the small aperture shooting off the bench it was not difficult to get groups that could be covered with a drink coaster. For my 59 year old ageing eyes I'll call that good. I switched to some Hornady 168 Gr. A-Max bullets loaded with the same 42.0 Gr. of Varget. They grouped just a bit tighter, but I would of had to have a scope mounted to really establish which was the better load as far as accuracy.

After taking a break and BS'ing with some of the guys there I tried some informal offhand shooting on the 200 yards steel plates. It was very easy to achieve steady hits. This rifle is very easy to shoot accurately. Much more so than my Springfield M1-A's are offhand. It being shorter is far less muzzle heavy and less tiresome to shoot from an offhand stance. All in all I ran a total of 220 rounds through the gun. More .308 than I normally would shoot at a single range outing.

Before I left I heavily lubed up everything, and after every 30 rounds or so, I gave the bolt and bolt lugs several drops of Mobil 1 to keep everything good and slick. After I got home the gun cleaned up effortlessly. Everyone has their own method of lubricating AR's. For me more is better. I disassembled the bolt carrier group and washed everything in clean Kerosene, then blew everything dry with compressed air. After that the gun was spotless. I then re oiled and greased everything, and the gun was as spotless as before I took it out of the case.

I used Bore Tech Eliminator in the barrel, and it cleaned up much easier than I had expected. I didn't get the barrel very hot, and gave it plenty of time to cool off between magazines. It was mostly cloudy and cool out with almost no wind at all. Overall I'm very pleased with this rifle. The gun ran perfectly, shot where it was aimed, and was easy to handle doing it. I wished I hadn't waited so long to get into the .308 AR game. These guns are a lot of fun, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
I went to the range this morning with the new .308 DPMS, and overall had a very good range session. The gun functioned flawlessly. No FTF or FTE's. The gun ate everything it was fed. I tried both DPMS magazines that came with the rifle and both fed 19 rounds each of Magtech 150 Gr. FMJ without a hitch. I then switched to the Mag-Pul P-Mag I had for all the rest of my shooting, because that is the magazine I will be purchasing several extras of. It ran fine with everything I stuffed in it.

At 8.25 pounds empty, the gun has very manageable recoil. Much less than a light .308 sporter like my Winchester Model 88 does. It was LOUD! Much louder than any .223 AR-15. Ejection was positive, but it did not damage or ding any of the brass. I don't have any optics on this rifle, and really don't intend to mount any. The standard A-2 sights were pretty close at 100 yards, where all my shooting was from. I had to adjust about 2 inches up and about 2 to 3 inches to the left, and everything after that was well central on the targets.

After about 50 rounds I switched to some handloads I had brought that were loaded with 42.0 Gr. of Varget under a Sierra 168 Gr. Matchking bullet. My eyes were getting used to the sights, and using the small aperture shooting off the bench it was not difficult to get groups that could be covered with a drink coaster. For my 59 year old ageing eyes I'll call that good. I switched to some Hornady 168 Gr. A-Max bullets loaded with the same 42.0 Gr. of Varget. They grouped just a bit tighter, but I would of had to have a scope mounted to really establish which was the better load as far as accuracy.

After taking a break and BS'ing with some of the guys there I tried some informal offhand shooting on the 200 yards steel plates. It was very easy to achieve steady hits. This rifle is very easy to shoot accurately. Much more so than my Springfield M1-A's are offhand. It being shorter is far less muzzle heavy and less tiresome to shoot from an offhand stance. All in all I ran a total of 220 rounds through the gun. More .308 than I normally would shoot at a single range outing.

Before I left I heavily lubed up everything, and after every 30 rounds or so, I gave the bolt and bolt lugs several drops of Mobil 1 to keep everything good and slick. After I got home the gun cleaned up effortlessly. Everyone has their own method of lubricating AR's. For me more is better. I disassembled the bolt carrier group and washed everything in clean Kerosene, then blew everything dry with compressed air. After that the gun was spotless. I then re oiled and greased everything, and the gun was as spotless as before I took it out of the case.

I used Bore Tech Eliminator in the barrel, and it cleaned up much easier than I had expected. I didn't get the barrel very hot, and gave it plenty of time to cool off between magazines. It was mostly cloudy and cool out with almost no wind at all. Overall I'm very pleased with this rifle. The gun ran perfectly, shot where it was aimed, and was easy to handle doing it. I wished I hadn't waited so long to get into the .308 AR game. These guns are a lot of fun, and I couldn't be more pleased.
Glad you like it. I have an AR10...when I break it out, it's the "rock star" of the range. I don't understand why people get so google eyed over the big rifles, but they damned sure do. At least where I shoot, anyway.

Welcome to the ".308 club". They are a lotta fun.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have the cheaper model without the forward assist. It is a good shooter. I scoped mine, it came without sights. Haven't put but a hundred rounds through it so far but I'm going to give it a work out when the weather straighens up.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

billt Thanks for posting a range report on your AP4 and glad to hear you're enjoying the rifle they're a blast to shoot. I've had my on the range and bench several times it has always functioned and shot well....Very good write up.

Here's my 7 year old AP4.
I use a Burris 1.5-6 power and it shoots very respectable groups and hard on the Whitetail