My new DMR rig
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My new DMR rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default My new DMR rig

Been selling a couple of my other ARs to afford this one.
I didnt want to post it until it was complete (took a couple of months).

Every single part on this gun is high-end except the angled sights and the Bipod (UTG).
Most of this I bought as a package unfired used.

- Seekings Precsion Billet Lower
- Vltor Mur 1D Upper
- Geissele Rail
- Noveske barrel (Ceracoted)
- There is an upgraded trigger group that "holds" a set , but I am not sure what brand it was.
- hardchromed BCG/bolt
- The Scope I got is Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff in Real Tree Camo (Since the gun came hydrodipped camo'ed I made sure the scope was too)
Zeroed it yesterday but my scope mount screws came loose from it so I need to rezero (are we supposed to use locktite on those?) I screwed 'em down hard now.

100_0626.jpg   100_0627.jpg   100_0628.jpg  

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
FullautoUSA Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Base screws that hold the base to the rail are 60inch pounds on a quality rail with quality screws a lot of cheap bases can't handle that. The base needs to be pushed forward towards the muzzle then locked down. Ring screws are 20-25 inch pounds and blue loctite any more and you can start crushing the scope body or strip the screw heads or snap them off when you undo them. Larue mounts have this issue even with the correct torque as they use elcheapo non heat treated screws

Looks like you have a thumb screw for the base. Not a fan of those as they tend to shoot loose and there is no way to tell how tight you got em. They also don't really distribute clamping pressure well.

Wheeler makes a inch pound torque wrech that's perfect for gun work.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-08-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

The mount is not an expensive one. I was running out of money near the end of the project.
it was on sale 30 bucks for a 95 USD base...

Why do you say it needs to move forward?
BDC is 3.6 inch and my eye is about 3.6 inch back from it.

Do you suggest I move it forward and then move my eye forward?

I dont really have any experience with scopes at all...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

no. the base when you put it in the slots on the rail it has a bit of wiggle room before you tighten it. take up that bit of slack by pushing forward. if you take the slack up by pulling rearward or leave it in the middle the mount will shoot loose. recoil pushes back so if you tighten it with the slack taken up rearward it shoots loose over time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
no. the base when you put it in the slots on the rail it has a bit of wiggle room before you tighten it. take up that bit of slack by pushing forward. if you take the slack up by pulling rearward or leave it in the middle the mount will shoot loose. recoil pushes back so if you tighten it with the slack taken up rearward it shoots loose over time.
Oh thanks!!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its an aggravating mistake that leads lots of folks to think their optics are broken.

the thumb screws just crank em as tight as you can go might even put a bit of blue locktite on the threads let it dry completely before screwing them back in. that will help with loosening from lack of proper torque. just a teensy tiny drop is all you need

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Damn nice setup. Might want to watch that Fella in the background though. He looks a little shifty to me. LOL

Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

So do you guys think that after I retighted the screws that came loose I might as well unscrew of mount screws only to redo them with locktite?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #9

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Been selling a couple of my other ARs to afford this one.
I didnt want to post it until it was complete (took a couple of months).

Every single part on this gun is high-end except the angled sights and the Bipod (UTG).
Most of this I bought as a package unfired used.

- Seekings Precsion Billet Lower
- Vltor Mur 1D Upper
- Geissele Rail
- Noveske barrel (Ceracoted)
- There is an upgraded trigger group that "holds" a set , but I am not sure what brand it was.
- hardchromed BCG/bolt
- The Scope I got is Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff in Real Tree Camo (Since the gun came hydrodipped camo'ed I made sure the scope was too)
Zeroed it yesterday but my scope mount screws came loose from it so I need to rezero (are we supposed to use locktite on those?) I screwed 'em down hard now.
What caliber is your rifle? What is your intended use?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-13-2014, 01:26 AM   #10

It is 5.56mm
Looking to feed it mostly on heavier grain match ammo.
Its intended application is as a DMR .. So not quite a Sniper Setup but a rifle capable of reaching out further than the normal riflemans rifle while capable of shooting the same ammo out of the same mags as a standard AR15.

Might a AR10 have been a better choice?
Not sure.. I like the lighter rifle/ammo package of the 5.56mm and I dont expect 1000 yard reach but I do want better reach than my Aimpoint PRO equipped CQB rifles.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun: