Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My New Bushy... :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
Anyone have a suggestion on either EOTech or Aimpoint? I don't want to dump a ton of money into this (as I said, pretty much a range only gun)...
You can't go wrong with either one of those. I own both, have had the Eotech a little longer. The one thing I do like about the Eotech, frost, fog, water, whatever you throw at the screen, all it takes is just a little open spot and you can still aim through it accurately, due to the holographic site. Not so with any other red-dot.

But, the Aimpoint is alot easier on batteries. This depends alot on which models you compare, too. Try to stick with something that uses AA size, and you'll never have any probs finding replacements.

The weakness to either, is no magnification without buying a separate piece, which also requires it's own mount, adding cost, weight, etc. But for what they were designed for, basically shooting out to maybe 2-300 yards, you should be ok. For more accuracy, you might want to slip your other scope back on.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #12

I think I want to upgrade to the split 4-rail handguard too.

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_handguards.asp#YHM9670

I saw a set at Cabela's for a little over $100, but they looked like they were made of plastic. Worth the extra $$ to go with the aluminum?

And thanks for the info... Any specific model on either the Eotech or Aimpoint that you would suggest?

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I think I want to upgrade to the split 4-rail handguard too.

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_handguards.asp#YHM9670

I saw a set at Cabela's for a little over $100, but they looked like they were made of plastic. Worth the extra $$ to go with the aluminum?

And thanks for the info... Any specific model on either the Eotech or Aimpoint that you would suggest?
for your rails, if you can afford the extra $$'s, I'd say go for the aluminum. They'll hold up better and most likely be more in spec, as far as fitting accessories to them. Yankee Hill Machine (who I think is who Bushy is using) start around $96 for free-floated rails and go up. Another would be Midwest Industries, starting around $130 and up. Try to go with a set that are 'free-floating', as this takes a little strain off your barrel and gives you a little more accuracy.

As for the red-dots, either of those brands are great, but they'll set you back about $375 and up for either of them. If you are willing to spend that much, I'd say go with the Eotech 512, preferrably in Revision F. In the Aimpoint, you could go with the C3 or ML2, either will work well for you.

But...if you want to save a few pennies, look for a Burris XTS135. They look a little like an Aimpoint, but go for around $235.

OR...if you really want to save, look like you have an expensive scope, but only paid about $150 for it....look for a S.P.O.T. they look like the Aimpoint, come with the angled mount, hold up pretty decent, are made in Korea, but who's going to know but you?

I'm sure some might flame me for suggesting any of those cheaper scopes or rails, but hey...whatever floats their boats. And in your case, consider what you want your rifle to be, and make it that way. It's your $$$, your gun, and in the end, only your opinion that counts on it, right?

Now if you were equipping a spec ops group or neighborhood tacticool commando unit, I might suggest other options...

Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #14

Found a set of the YHM guards on EBay... Their site says sold out... So I'll see what I can pull of EBay and hope I win them cheap.

I really like the look of the Eotech 512 you mentioned... Maybe I'll give in and purchase one with my tax refund that should be in next week. I can always return the other scope and put that towards it too...

Thanks for your help. It's nice to find a forum where people can be friendly instead of telling me "search" or whatever. Much appreciated!

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ur welcome

Quote:
Found a set of the YHM guards on EBay... Their site says sold out... So I'll see what I can pull of EBay and hope I win them cheap.

I really like the look of the Eotech 512 you mentioned... Maybe I'll give in and purchase one with my tax refund that should be in next week. I can always return the other scope and put that towards it too...

Thanks for your help. It's nice to find a forum where people can be friendly instead of telling me "search" or whatever. Much appreciated!
no thanks necessary, glad I could help out in some way. Good luck with your "search" on ebay for your handguards. Sometimes you can find pretty good deals on there. Another option I forgot to mention on scopes...check out a Bushnell Holosight. They run less than $300, look like the Eotech without the outer protective shield, and work pretty much the same way.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #16

Well thanks again for the suggestions. I'm going to check Cabela's to see what they've got and go from there.

Simon

Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #17

Default eotech 512

I have a eotech 512 on my benelli m4 I like it very much so. Cabela's doesn't carry eotech's at least the one in pa doesn't but they do carry some others probably not going to get your best buy there eather.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #18

Hmmm... I thought I saw the Eotech's when I was at Cabela's last week... but maybe not? I know they show they're available online... So I could always go that route if I needed. I don't really know of any gun shops around my area (asides from that, Gander, or Bass Pro) that would stock something like the Eotech...

Simon

Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #19

I have never seen them there but wasn't really looking. your in pa, there are gun shops all over the place what I live in columbia co I can't go 10 miles without going past at least one shop.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
I have never seen them there but wasn't really looking. your in pa, there are gun shops all over the place what I live in columbia co I can't go 10 miles without going past at least one shop.
I live in the sticks. Any shop that is around here won't have stuff like that in stock.

Simon