My new BCM carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My new BCM carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5983 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default My new BCM carbine

well im 99.9% complete. just missing a bayonet, 2 point sling and the larue qd acog mount which is on backorder. picked up the bcm lower that was shipped to one of LGS guys today!! thanks Todd over at BTK firearms in Hartland Wi. awesome guy to work with.

anyway, i wanted a cross of the colt sp1(lightweight) and soviet dragunov(super easy to use range finding) optic. after much looking at various scopes and options in different guns i settled on the acog beating out various optics like nightforce and leupold for ease of use.

i settled on the bcm midlength lightweight due to its reputation and recomendations by members here. i would have gotten a colt but they dont offer a lightweight middy. why midlength?? cant use a bayonet on a carbine length non-nfa gun. while i do have nfa items and im used to waiting its not worth the hassle to me and the cost nearly 300$ after nfa tax and engraving fees (to have it done right) just to shave 1.5 inches...

some of the parts:
BCM midlength BFH lightweight upper
BCM bcg
BCM gunfighter charging handle medium latch
Midwest Industries slp rear sight
trijicon acog ta31f-g
Larue qd mount (on backorder)
BCM complete carbine configured lower receiver
magpul BAD lever
magpul winter trigger guard (came with the lower)
magpul ACS-L buttstock (milspec)
magpul moe handguards
BCM gunfighter grip mod 0 (came with the lower)
surefire mb556k muzzle brake

weights were taken using a cheap 5$ kitchen cooking scale so its not the most accurate weigh in

total weight as configured 7pounds 7ounces
without acog 6pounds 9ounces

weight of lower without acs-l 1pound 8ounces
upper without handguards or optic 3pounds 11ounces
acog with trijicon thumbscrew mount 14ounces
magpul acs-l stock 12ounces
magpul moe handguards 8ounces

since posts without pics are pretty worthless here ya go!!

the bcm grip that came withit is pretty nice and is just like my favorite A1 style grip but has a storage compartment. the lid has a rubber plug that may help keep moisture out.

since my wife stole my small latch bcm gunfighter charging handle i decided to try out a medium. as you can see it sticks out less than the thumb screws on the acog mount. i actually like it better than the small.

the newer model has a raised lip to deflect backpressure from running supressed. how well it works i dunno yet.

first shoot and sight in later next week!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-21-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice looking. I like the clean versions without a ton of additions. You're going to have a ball with that Jon!! Range report upon completion!!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Looks good Jon.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It really seems a lot of thought went into your build and it really shows.

The end result is an AR as pretty on the outside as it is on the inside.

Gratz on the build, and love that pron, more plz.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Great build, Jon! Love your components. I know it'll shoot as well as it looks.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks. i did put lots of thinking into it. one of the huge issues was build or buy?? while i can build my own rifle quite easily (skill wise), the problem was finding stripped receivers barrels lower parts that were all in stock somewhere. that was an enourmous hurdle and the only places i could find actual chromed milspec barrels was bcm. the one i wanted just wasnt in stock with an unknown backorder. other suppliers were unknown quality, out of stock, or unable to buy without a lot of unknown junk on em.

after pricing the cost of shipping for the various items building cost and buying cost was a wash. so bcm had everything in seperate pieces in stock with midwest industries and two online distributors and one local shop providing the rest.

i would honestly rather have the colt, but colt doesnt offer what i want. i like simple and only building out the details my way could i get that. the need for a bayonet ruled colt out all together. even so whatever bayonet i get for it whether its the old m7 or the new okc3s the muzzle ring will have to be bored out to .91 inches to fit over the surefire muzzle brake.

the other issue was 308 ar10 or a high speed low drag ar15?? since i fixed the issues of my savage model 10 ive got a longrange precision rifle that works damn well with a great optic. it made the need for a semiauto precision gun able to go on the backburner indefinately.

i SHOULD be able to hook up the surefire 762 suppressor that the stamp should be showing up soon.

the only issue i have now is the wife wants one too...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-21-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... the only issue i have now is the wife wants one too...
That's kinda what happened to me also and why I ended up building a BCM clone of my DD build from 16 months ago.

Again, great planning and great components, Jon. I love to see a build like yours and the reasoning behind it.

BTW, thanks for the weights you listed. I should have a digital scale next week and I'll also weigh components.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was impressed w/ that SF MB. Again great collection of parts Jon.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I was impressed w/ that SF MB. Again great collection of parts Jon.
friday if there arent any tstorms i can take it over to a friends place to do some rapid fire and take some video of it in action. just a warning: i am NOT photogenic lol

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the only issue i have now is the wife wants one too...
Wish it happened on me. Lol. Btw love that newer model of the gunfighter CH. Do u think that new CH will be comparable with PRI gusbuster CH?