My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1159 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

Nice find! I really need to look in to these myself. Thanks for all the info guys! Great pictures too.

I think about 90% of the trash talk about Century is hearsay. Odds are you'll get a good product for the price. So far for me 4 out of 4 CAI firearms have been keepers. I might just get one of these down the road.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3458 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

HighPlains,

That is a Colt Carrier and probably the complete assembly.

For those who do not know what barrel twist they have or wants to know!

You need a Dewey or Cleaning Rod that has a Ball Bearing "turning" Handle on it and a Parker Hale type JAG to hold a patch. Put the point of the Jag into the upper left top corner of the AR Cleaning Patch and twist the patch on the Jag Must be a "Dry" patch!
Take your upper off of the lower and turn it upside down. Best to put it in a vise or something that will hold it well. Or use a buddy to hold the upper. Looking straight down at 90 degrees where the aluminum receiver edge down into chamber area. Start the rod tip into the chamber. Get a Silver Sharpie Marker and make a mark on the cleaning rod by the receiver edge down in the receiver. Go back on the rod by the handle and put a dot on the rod. Begin pushing the rod into the bore of the rifle. The rod must rotate smoothly. When the dot by the handle rotates 360 degrees. Go back to the location of the receiver where you placed the first mark and make a second mark on the cleaning rod. Pull the rod out from the barrel and measure the distance between the two marks that you placed by the receiver. That will give you the barrel twist of the rifle. Hope this makes sense!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6732 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
and frankly, f/a is not all that useful in my opinion.
i agree. unless your using a belt fed machine gun. but it is a helluva lot of fun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i agree. unless your using a belt fed machine gun. but it is a helluva lot of fun.
Ha ha. You nailed it there. When it comes to area fire, I am hell with an M249. Individual arms are no fun after you've been on the sending end of a SAW.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #25

Thanks again everybody, Im glad you like the rifle. To people that may want to buy one in the future i highly recommend buying through j&g sales. There customer service is great and if you do have a problem with the rifle they take care of it for you.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
If HPD has does in fact have a Government issued A1 upper, I don't imagine it was sold initially, or removed from service to end up on the civilian market in a legit manner. Even perfectly good gov't owned stuff (military especially, weapons and weapon parts in particular) is usually destroyed when taken out of service.

Getting ahold of an original M16A1 is possible if you have several, several, several thousand dollars that you're not in particular need of and you want to pay the class three tax and do the paperwork. The lower itself is what costs the big bucks. The full auto parts (carrier, sear, disconnect, trigger, selector and hammer) are not terribly expensive. The naked stripped lower that is registered prior to 1986, that allows you to legally install those parts is the bank breaker.

Any M16 series lower WILL be full auto capable and again this is the expensive part. There is nothing special at all about the upper that correlates directly to the capability to fire f/a aside from the longer cocking pad on the carrier. A f/a carrier will function just fine in a semi only rifle and a semi auto carrier will function perfectly fine with a lower containing full auto parts, however it will fire in semi auto only.

What I'm saying in short is: You could buy a cheap upper from M1 Sales, add a f/a carrier, pin it to your registered f/a lower with appropriate f/a fire control parts, and it will be f/a no different than if it rolled off the assembly line of a government contract for military service rifles. An "original" m16 upper is not restricted, but I wouldn't know where to find one that some Joe or Jarhead didn't acquire by less than honest means.

The one in the pics I posted is not mine. It belongs to the Army and is on loan to my place of employment and issued to me. I removed the f/a fire control parts as my boss doesn't want the liability and frankly, f/a is not all that useful in my opinion.
I probably missed something.

I would like an original M16A1 minus F/A capability. I think it would be awesome to have something w/ historical significance. It doesn't have to be a rifle used or once issued.

I wonder why Century doesn't use the old receivers and just change the fire control group. theres probably legal issues I imagine.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

I would like an original M16A1 minus F/A capability. I think it would be awesome to have something w/ historical significance. It doesn't have to be a rifle used or once issued.

I wonder why Century doesn't use the old receivers and just change the fire control group. theres probably legal issues I imagine.
You could always get a Century then sell the lower to buy a Nodak Spud lower. They have some cool stuff on there site. It wont say Colt but it will be darn close. Anyway just and idea.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6732 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

the lower is the machine gun removing the internals doesnt remove the pin holes for the sear. those two sear holes make the lower a machine gun according to our democan and republocrat anti-america congress.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #29

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Nice deal on the Rifle
Not so nice deal on your laminate floor...fire the guy that did that install...
Sorry, that's the GC talking.

Tack

Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
You could always get a Century then sell the lower to buy a Nodak Spud lower. They have some cool stuff on there site. It wont say Colt but it will be darn close. Anyway just and idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the lower is the machine gun removing the internals doesnt remove the pin holes for the sear. those two sear holes make the lower a machine gun according to our democan and republocrat anti-america congress.
I got it now. Im not a big firearm history buff. I am trying though.