My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the positive feed back fellas. I never thought in a million years i would have one AR15 at my age and now i have two. Craziness...

Old 02-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
The twist rate is 1:9 according to the website. The barrel is much like JeepCreep said about his experience there are no markings or stamping anywhere. The tear drop forward assist is an A1 feature, correct me if i am wrong cause i could be but A2 had the circle assist, heavy barrel, rounded hand guard and slightly longer butt stock.

Thanks JonM like i said before your A1 build inspired this buy. Your inpt i much welcome.
circle assist was a later a1 feature. i dont think its specific to either. ive seen a few military A2 with teardrops in the early 90s. a 1:9 in a thin barrel is not a military barrel its prolly just a aftermarket A1 profile. surplus colt barrels that were pencil profile are all 1:12 twist to the very very first runs of 1:14 with some 1:10. m16A1 surplus barrels are stamped MPI sometimes with a C if im not mistaken. with no twist stamping. it will be between the flash hider and fsb on the top if it is stamped. not all barrels were stamped. a2 also have a very annoying finger groove on the pistol grip.

the best feature of the A1 is the triangle hand guards. absolutely the best forward grip for a rifle ever devised. its a true shame the military went to those round handguards.

with mainly colt parts that rifle is a steal.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #13

The A1 has an oblong fwd assist and no provisions for elevation on the rear sight, the stock is 5/8" shorter and the barrel is lighter than the A2, and the flash hider (assuming it's "stock") will be open 360 degrees instead of closed on the bottom.

I have worked on government weapons that were basically retrofit A1's that had the A1 triangular hand guards replaced with round A2 style.

A 1"-9 twist would be right for an A1 barrel as the ammunition for that time frame was the m193 55 grain bullet as opposed to the m885 for the A2 which specifies a 62 grain bullet.

Looks like a good old style A1 upper there to me. Congratulations.
gedc0028.jpg   gedc0029.jpg   gedc0030.jpg  

Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #14

Few more. This rifle is one of the retro fits. All A1 aside from the round handguards.
gedc0031.jpg   gedc0032.jpg   gedc0033.jpg   gedc0034.jpg  

Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #15

Thin barrel with a 1"-9 twist is the standard barrel for the A1. The rifle pictured above is sitting on my desk in front of me as I type this and is an honest to goodness, straight from the United States Army, no aftermarket parts, M16A1.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice find, wish I could trip over one of those at the local gun store!!

Can't wait to see how she shoots!!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Thin barrel with a 1"-9 twist is the standard barrel for the A1. The rifle pictured above is sitting on my desk in front of me as I type this and is an honest to goodness, straight from the United States Army, no aftermarket parts, M16A1.
That is awesome. Thanks for the brain food. On another note does anyone know a good place to get an A1 grip?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #18

Pistol Grip - Used

Original grips, as well as forend halves, are made from a glass reinforced plastic like material that feels much different than the newer plastic molded pieces. It almost feels "brittle", kinda like a Bakelite composition.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 02-20-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
How would one about aquiring one of these? I imagine the originals are all F/A, correct? Could a guy possibly get ahold of a non F/A yet w/ original upper and lower?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #20

If HPD has does in fact have a Government issued A1 upper, I don't imagine it was sold initially, or removed from service to end up on the civilian market in a legit manner. Even perfectly good gov't owned stuff (military especially, weapons and weapon parts in particular) is usually destroyed when taken out of service.

Getting ahold of an original M16A1 is possible if you have several, several, several thousand dollars that you're not in particular need of and you want to pay the class three tax and do the paperwork. The lower itself is what costs the big bucks. The full auto parts (carrier, sear, disconnect, trigger, selector and hammer) are not terribly expensive. The naked stripped lower that is registered prior to 1986, that allows you to legally install those parts is the bank breaker.

Any M16 series lower WILL be full auto capable and again this is the expensive part. There is nothing special at all about the upper that correlates directly to the capability to fire f/a aside from the longer cocking pad on the carrier. A f/a carrier will function just fine in a semi only rifle and a semi auto carrier will function perfectly fine with a lower containing full auto parts, however it will fire in semi auto only.

What I'm saying in short is: You could buy a cheap upper from M1 Sales, add a f/a carrier, pin it to your registered f/a lower with appropriate f/a fire control parts, and it will be f/a no different than if it rolled off the assembly line of a government contract for military service rifles. An "original" m16 upper is not restricted, but I wouldn't know where to find one that some Joe or Jarhead didn't acquire by less than honest means.

The one in the pics I posted is not mine. It belongs to the Army and is on loan to my place of employment and issued to me. I removed the f/a fire control parts as my boss doesn't want the liability and frankly, f/a is not all that useful in my opinion.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 02-20-2011 at 05:46 AM.