My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My new Ar15A1 rifle, so far not so bad.

I just picked this beut up at a local gun show( cross roads of the west). I picked it up at J&G sales display for $688 and some change. Now to drop the bomb, It is a Century arms rifle. I know I Know, what is this guy thinking A CAI rifle AHHHHHHH. Well i have been look at this rifle for a while now researching and look up first hand reviews. The consensus says it a pretty good rifle most just don't trust it because of the name stamp. Now i am not one to advise someone to go the CAI route with a new purchase but this thing is solid. It has colt upper guts with a m16 carrier, colt upper receiver, CMT lower and guts, i am pretty sure the hand guards and butt stock are original colt, it even came with a cleaning kit and sling labeled colt P/N 62249. the only thing i don't know about is the barrel. It is an A1 light barrel but there are no markings anywhere, checked under the hand guards and everything. I came with a decent 20 round Polymer mag as well. Now for an under $700 dollar A1 with everything described i am willing to make the gamble. I dont know, here are some pics. Tell me what you think.

c15a1.jpg   c15a1-2.jpg   colt-upper.jpg   colt-bolt.jpg   colt-bolt-2.jpg  

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #2

Oh and a range report is coming vary vary soon, I cant wait to shoot this thing.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ive really been eyeing one of these. Can you post pics of the gas key staking and any markings?

I think classicarms.us has some more info on this rifle. I just cant remember what it says exactly.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #4

Not a bad snag there. If the upper and bolt/ carrier are Colt, maybe it was put together from "surplus" parts, especially if you have a F/A carrier. When I was an armorer in the Coast Guard we had a ton of old Colt and Hydramatic lowered A1's (this was in 2001) in the vault. There were no markings at all on the barrel, no COLT stamp, twist rate, notta.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

HPD...nice stick, love the retro look of it. Noticed a fwd assist on the upper,,,does that make it an A2? Whats the twist on the barrel...1:12?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

forward assist was a main differenca from m16 to m16a1. the rear sight, handguards, and heavy barrel would be the diff in A2.

nice snag there drifter cant wait for the report. im a huge A1 fan.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Ive really been eyeing one of these. Can you post pics of the gas key staking and any markings?

I think classicarms.us has some more info on this rifle. I just cant remember what it says exactly.
here is the staking, no visible stampings or markings that i can see.
gas-key.jpg   gas-key-2.jpg  

Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
HPD...nice stick, love the retro look of it. Noticed a fwd assist on the upper,,,does that make it an A2? Whats the twist on the barrel...1:12?
The twist rate is 1:9 according to the website. The barrel is much like JeepCreep said about his experience there are no markings or stamping anywhere. The tear drop forward assist is an A1 feature, correct me if i am wrong cause i could be but A2 had the circle assist, heavy barrel, rounded hand guard and slightly longer butt stock.

Thanks JonM like i said before your A1 build inspired this buy. Your inpt i much welcome.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like a decent deal.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #10

well i for one dont care who made it just go out and enjoy it, shes a beauty, kiss from front to rear, carried one of them for a period in my life so i like the looks of the old carry handle just makes it look right.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee