Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   My M&P 15 Dust Cover... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-m-p-15-dust-cover-52893/)

Judah_BenHur 12-02-2011 01:04 AM

My M&P 15 Dust Cover...

..won't stay shut! Argh. It keeps flap-ing open. Won't stay in the shut position.
I've wiggled-jiggled-niggled and FLAP! open...
When I got this rifle new, it was shut. Since I opened it on day 1, FLAP! won't stay shut.
It seems that the small housing (whatever that's called) on the inside of the door that holds the spring loaded ball-berring is just a tad too low. I'm talkin, like maybe 1mm. The hole that is machined on the upper that accepts this ball berring is nicely done, seems located properly also. Everything else about the door seems correct; door, door pin, pin springs, etc all straight.

I tried to gently nudge the housing of the ball berring up with needle nose pliers, won't budge. Just how is this housing attatched to the door? I can't figure it out but it's obviously not forged on there...

If the thing never stays shut, it's not a deal breaker. The rifle lives a good life..never gets dragged through the mud etc and stays inside with plenty of good luvin'. Hell...the sport dosn't even have one.

Everything else about the rifle is excellent. A great shooter with no problems.
If a flappy dust cover is all I ever gotta worry about I got it made. But dad-gummit...it's a S&W..the dust cover should work properly. :D

(Oh...tried searching, had no luck. Sorry if I missed something.)

trip286 12-02-2011 01:15 AM

I've known some to just take the EP cover off, but I figure it's there for a reason so I wouldn't do that. It keeps dust and debris out (somewhat). Try liberal amounts of oil while tapping it lightly with something, I recommend a spoon.

Judah_BenHur 12-02-2011 01:24 AM

Yeah I want to retain the cover. The ball moves freely in the housing, all springy and what-not, seems to be GTG. But I havn't put any oil in there...good idea...maybe there's a s**tball in there or something and I can knock it free...

ALS11 12-02-2011 09:37 PM

Mine won't close!! If I press the plunger down with my fingernail (a bit difficult) or a knife edge I can get it to snap closed. The spring loaded plunger sticks out a bit to far. It opens fine. I do wish I could get it to close easier. Though not a big deal.

Quentin 12-02-2011 09:41 PM

I'd take it back to the gun shop, they should fix it. If not ejection port covers are cheap but semihard to install. That darn little C-clamp likes to vanish... :D

trip286 12-02-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
I'd take it back to the gun shop, they should fix it. If not ejection port covers are cheap but semihard to install. That darn little C-clamp likes to vanish... :D

I always called it a Jesus clip. First thing that goes through your mind when those little things take off flying is "oh Jesus"

Judah_BenHur 12-02-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 642017)

The rifle was a gift from Dad. He bought it years ago, never shot it, and brought it down from Ohio on a recent visit. I imagine S&W would make it right if I wanted to go through the process of sending it to them. That would probably cost more than it's worth hassling with.
I'm not givin' up! :D I'm not gonna beat & bang on it, I think it just requires a little minor out-patient surgery. :)

Quentin 12-02-2011 11:39 PM

Well definitely try penatrating oil and work the plunger repeatedly. Then oil it up and try again. Could be the plunger got damaged somehow. This might be the time to buy your favorite engraved dust cover! Make lemonade out of a lemon... :D

trip286 12-02-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
Well definitely try penatrating oil and work the plunger repeatedly. Then oil it up and try again. Could be the plunger got damaged somehow. This might be the time to buy your favorite engraved dust cover! Make lemonade out of a lemon... :D

Ooh yeah, didn't think about that! Put some bad@$$ gun art on that thing.

Quentin 12-02-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 642087)
Ooh yeah, didn't think about that! Put some bad@$$ gun art on that thing.

My personal favorite is "Made In USA" plus a US Flag. Lots of great ones out there though. I think Spikes has different ones for about $10 or so, anyway they used to.