Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My First EBR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default My First EBR Build

It has taken me a year and a half now to decide whether or not I was willing to join into the ranks of the dreaded "Evil Black Rifle Club." Finally, after months of decision making I have finally taken the plunge head first into the waters. I went to a gun show earlier today and looked at all the of the products that were for sale. Several dealers had plenty of lower receivers and even lower parts kits in stock and willing to sell them at a moments notice.

In fact, one particular gentlemen had over 70 brand new DPMS lower receivers all wrapped up individually in their nice little boxes priced at $150 each, a ton of DPMS lower part kits that were brand spanking new priced at around $70 to $90 as well, several brand new completed uppers for around $500, and several brand new completed AR-15 builds all priced under $1,000. Of course, stupid me didn't bother to purchase anything from him as I wasn't strapped with the excessive cash to buy a new EBR outright.

However, not all is lost as there was one vendor that had caught my eye in my quest of window shopping. He had two brand new lower receivers in a display case priced at $160 each. Upon closer inspection of the two lowers, I discovered that they were both manufactured from a high end company and were actually being sold for a very reasonable price. That is when I finally made up my mind and snatched one up. I guess you could say it was love at first sight. Without further ado, here is the first piece in my EBR build:

The Charles Daily Defense 5.56 Lower Receiver:

(Sorry about the blurry image, but my digital camera is crap on focusing and resolution.)

Isn't she beautiful? Granted she needs an extreme make over to be completely drop dead gorgeous, but she still is one sexy piece. One thing is for certain, I now have the most important piece of the rifle that is considered a weapon, and it is on the books. Take that Obama Bin Biden!

From here on out (at the request of JD of course ) I plan on keeping everyone updated with my project and the status of it with this thread as I continue to get it off of the ground. Hopefully by the end of the year (provided I can get my hands on a decent upper), you will all see the finished product just in time for Christmas. Anyway, I will continue to update this thread with anymore details as they become available. Please wish me the best of luck.

Oh one last thing, it is really is exhilarating to be a potentially new member of the EBR Club!

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
It has taken me a year and a half now to decide whether or not I was willing to join into the ranks of the dreaded "Evil Black Rifle Club."

{SNIP}

Please wish me the best of luck.

Oh one last thing, it is really is exhilarating to be a potentially new member of the EBR Club!
Yeah, it kind of grows on you. I completed mine earlier this year, with some expert guidance from JD and others here. I have two more lowers that I hope to build out this year :-)

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey Major. I just finished building mine, you will have fun. Check out gunbrokers.com and ar15.com's equipment exchange. You can find uppers but keep an eye on the price, some of them are a bit over retail.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #4

Major

I can heartily recommend Del-Ton (del-ton.com) their "kits" are reasonably priced and good quality. Despite the ridiculous runup in prices they have maintained their prices.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #5

I thought I would give everybody a little update on how the progress is going with my AR build. I have currently finalized all but one of the parts that will be on my AR build. That one part is the forearm. I am torn between three different forearms, all of which are made by Yankee Hill Machine. I know it is silly to trivialize over such a thing, but I can't figure out which one is the best. These are the three that I have been looking into:

YHM Light Weight Free Float 4 Rail Forearm
YHM Four Rail Free Float Forearm
YHM Two Piece Four Rail Handguard

I personally like the aesthetics of the regular four rail free float tube and the two piece handguard over the light weight, but I just want to know what would be the best bang for the buck. Is there anybody here that is knowledgeable on YHM products that could tell me what the pros and cons of each forearm are? Also, is YHM's Phantom Flash Hiders any good? I am thinking about purchasing one later on down the road so I can attach a suppressor to my rifle.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 07-03-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd go with their regular free float tube. Those rails, even with covers, can be uncomfortable. They're unnecessary for the most part too unless you're planning a mall ninja build.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice Matt.

Speaking of a mall ninja build. . .

I was actually planning on getting both a foregrip and a bi-pod for the rifle. I was also thinking about doing an EoTech/Aimpoint combo sometime later on down the road as well. I figured a four rail set up would fit my needs on that.

However, is there any smooth surfaced free float tubes out there that could fit those needs?

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 07-04-2009 at 11:13 PM.