My first DIY AR-15 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first DIY AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Pat, for a fair comparison against a low cost off the rack AR you probably should include just one magazine and maybe a cheap sling ($10). And most of those cheap ARs don't come with the rear sight so you did very well. A quality PSA AR for the cost of a DPMS Sportical or Bushmaster Carbon 15!

I also got a PSA barreled upper, charging handle and lower build kit which came to $375 then added a BCM BCG for $150 and a $100 stripped lower (bought locally so no transfer fee). So now up to $625. Throw in a PMAG and sling, and it's $650 which is incredible. Maybe you can't do that today but it sure drives a stake into the crappy guns we see too much of. Oh, with a PSA BCG instead of BCM the price drops another $20!

I've gotta say PSA is amazing. Even with the occasional horror story about CS they do tend to make it right and give excellent quality.

(I left off shipping, tax and transfer fees since they tend to even out comparing online vs. local purchases.)
Late addition to this reply:

Quentin,

I got 2 mags for ~$50.... So, one mag and a sling would still be pretty close to that figure.

Yeah, I appreciate you telling me about PSA. I like them quite a bit. My gun just FEELS better than the Bush C15 i had for a few months.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Last edited by pnolans; 12-26-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add a comment about mags and a sling

Old 12-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #32

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used one of those omni lowers for my wifes ar....She hasnt shot it with that lower ywt. I had the DPMS lite 16 upper on my PSA lower until I started building my upper. Total build price for the first came to about 515 bucks, that includes two mags and the rear sight. I wish I could find complete uppers in the lower 300's still!

PSA/SA&A build AR15
Ruger 10/22
pnolans Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #33

I got the H2 buffer and put it into my new gun. It does shoot better, and the brass ejects where I can pick it up.

Thanks for telling me about that, Quentin.

PatMan

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #34

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Well you can be proud of your new build, Pat! Quality parts that you chose and understand instead of whatever comes with this week's off the rack special. It's great to know you came in around $700 and didn't cut corners like most ARs at that price point.

What angle did the standard weight buffer eject at and what angle with the H2? About 3 o'clock with the H2? My middys with H2 are around 4-4:30.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

pnolans Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #35

yep, you nailed it! Or I did! hahaha

with the standard, it was ejecting at about 1 or 2 o'clock. Now it's between 3 and 4.

Yep, I am proud of it.

Now, if I can buy a barrel, I'm going to start on my own upper. I'm thinking of a 20"...

I should probably start a new thread? Or just at to this one... ?

PatMan

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #36

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Yeah that's one reason I like a heavier buffer, it moves the brass straight out or toward 4:00. Very annoying at an indoor range to have your brass ejecting at 1:00 and see it pile up just out of reach! Of course the main reason is to smooth out the action.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.