My first build pics - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first build pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Rather than start a new thread about this I figured I'd just ask it here. Is there really any problem with mounting a red dot sight on the handguard? I read that some people say the handguard will flex or whatever when shooting causing the dot to move off zero a little. Don't know how true that is. I currently have it mounted as far forward on the receiver like most people but actually like it better farther forward on the handguard because I feel I have a better field of view with it further away from my face. I have the Noveske NSR rail which feels pretty solid plus Noveske pins the handguard to the receiver apparently so it should not move. Any knowledge on this is appreciated. Thanks and Here's some crappy cell phone pics

image-2273206827.jpg

This is where it is mounted currently

image-4168704666.jpg

This is where I would prefer it mounted if no problems

Last edited by LaiePoi; 04-08-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Outstanding parts list, and beautiful stick! How's she shoot? Any shots of her in action?

I really like the design of the WML I just wish that the output had a little more balls, $125 is a little anemic. I'm wondering if I can mod with a stronger led.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #33

As for you question on the location of the mount, its alwasy best to keep it mounted on the upper reciever. Honestly the periscope looks better on the receiver in my humble opinion. I think the upper pic has it mounted in the perfect position as its a far forward on the receiver so it takes up less of your sight picture.

Any particular reason why you prefer it so far up?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi
Rather than start a new thread about this I figured I'd just ask it here. Is there really any problem with mounting a red dot sight on the handguard? I read that some people say the handguard will flex or whatever when shooting causing the dot to move off zero a little. Don't know how true that is. I currently have it mounted as far forward on the receiver like most people but actually like it better farther forward on the handguard because I feel I have a better field of view with it further away from my face. I have the Noveske NSR rail which feels pretty solid plus Noveske pins the handguard to the receiver apparently so it should not move. Any knowledge on this is appreciated. Thanks and Here's some crappy cell phone pics

I would personally rather have it stationed on the upper. The as long as everything is machined correctly the barrel would stay most true to your upper. Your handrail can always deviate a little. But it's up to you if it shoots and continuously stay true than put it where ever you want!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #35

Liked 580 Times on 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi

Sorry ,but I get on here only via a mobile device. What is on the front of the rail, I can't make that out. looks like a flip down bayonet to me. I can't tell.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Outstanding parts list, and beautiful stick! How's she shoot? Any shots of her in action?

I really like the design of the WML I just wish that the output had a little more balls, $125 is a little anemic. I'm wondering if I can mod with a stronger led.
Thanks and she shoots great although I have only put about 200rds thru her so far. With the way things have been I chose to just save the ammo I have right now so I don't get stuck with no ammo or paying outrageous prices for more. No action shots yet but maybe when ammo starts coming around again ill get back to shooting more.

Yes the WML design is very nice. I got the HSP version so it has a little more output than the original inforce version (200 vs. 125 Lumens) but its more than enough for inside my home and yard. I think the output is a lot better in person than on the vids I've seen. Perfect for indoor use imho. Definitely not a torch though if that's what you are in to. I have a high power one to throw on there tho if ever need be

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
As for you question on the location of the mount, its alwasy best to keep it mounted on the upper reciever. Honestly the periscope looks better on the receiver in my humble opinion. I think the upper pic has it mounted in the perfect position as its a far forward on the receiver so it takes up less of your sight picture.

Any particular reason why you prefer it so far up?
I just threw it up there (the things you do when you can't shoot as much!) just to see if I liked it better when looking thru it and I actually did....it helps me focus a little better on what's beyond the RDS when its further away from my face and a little less distracting if that makes sense. I can see the dot instantly too when it's further out and when its closer I sometimes find myself looking for the dot if my head placement is not exactly right. It's not a huge difference between the two but there is a difference to me. Ill keep playing with it and decide from there

Last edited by LaiePoi; 04-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampart18

I would personally rather have it stationed on the upper. The as long as everything is machined correctly the barrel would stay most true to your upper. Your handrail can always deviate a little. But it's up to you if it shoots and continuously stay true than put it where ever you want!
Yeah that's the only reason I asked I just didn't want to put it somewhere where it's a major no-no. But I'll try it out and see if it holds zero there or not

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

Sorry ,but I get on here only via a mobile device. What is on the front of the rail, I can't make that out. looks like a flip down bayonet to me. I can't tell.
The front top has the Tango Down front sight flashlight adaptor with Inforce HSP WML light looking thru it and on the bottom side end of the rail is a Laserlyte V3 red laser

Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
I just threw it up there just to see if I liked it better when looking thru it and I actually did....it helps me focus a little better on what's beyond the RDS when its further away from my face and a little less distracting if that makes sense. I can see the dot instantly too when it's further out and when its closer I sometimes find myself looking for the dot if my head placement is not exactly right. It's not a huge difference between the two but there is a difference to me. Ill keep playing with it and decide from there
I dunno, seems a little counter intuitive to me. The further away a sight it, the harder it SHOULD be to find.

A little training/practice for getting a consistent check weld, like just going from low ready to ready, should alleviate any issues you have in finding the dot. This drill can be done in the comfort of you home, just don't freak out the wife and kids. Also remember when training to practice with both eyes open, focusing on the target. A lot of shooters have a hard time getting use to that, even some newer shooters. With a little practice you can find the dot in your peripheral vision and complete your sight picture in split seconds.

Thanks for the headsup on the insight, 200 lumens is just right imo. Where did you get it? I'm gonna have to pick one up for myself!!!!

egads, momentary only on the light....doesn't that kind of bother you?
Does it get really hot? I'm wondering why they chose to make it momentary only......

Last edited by AgentTikki; 04-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.