My first build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default My first build

Well I have been wanting to build an AR for awhile now but something always comes up that stops me from doing so. So I've decided that im going to buy and build little by little.

Here is what I got so far
A PSA stripped lower.

forumrunner_20120421_124752.jpg

I'm excited to get this started...even though it might be awhile.

I'm going to post updates/questions here. I am going to try my best to utilize the search feature but please forgive me if I ask questions that's already been answered.

I have read thru a few threads on building an AR but I am open to advice and suggestions....after all I haven't decided on a upper or a parts kit to complete my lower yet.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You'll find a lot of good information in the stickies up top. They can help you actually build an entire lower. We also have a ton of threads on builds on this section, which go into great detail and debate on good and bad parts to order, as well as company reputations. You'll learn soon enough who the guru's are, and the wannabe guru's. Biggest thing is to take your time and do it right.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Cool...you're off to a good start. Have fun!

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Nice lower, same one as me Good luck, and yeah definitely read the stickies

Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
Nice lower, same one as me Good luck, and yeah definitely read the stickies
Hey you get those mags yet ?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Lots of great info in the stickies! I'm shopping around for LPKs and stuff. Sooo much to choose from!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Well I have been wanting to build an AR for awhile now but something always comes up that stops me from doing so. So I've decided that im going to buy and build little by little.

Here is what I got so far
A PSA stripped lower.

Attachment 44163

I'm excited to get this started...even though it might be awhile.

I'm going to post updates/questions here. I am going to try my best to utilize the search feature but please forgive me if I ask questions that's already been answered.

I have read thru a few threads on building an AR but I am open to advice and suggestions....after all I haven't decided on a upper or a parts kit to complete my lower yet.
Wow its really hard to believe they have moved 12000 lowers since december , one of mine is in the 10,000 series and the other in the 11,000 series , your in the 22,000 series , no wonder its taking forever to get stuff . LOL

Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Nice looking lower! And a good start.

Assuming they're in stock you might as well stick with PSA for the LPK and RE/stock kit. Hard to beat prices. I recently got their milspec RE kit with everything but the sliding stock for $40 and it was good quality for a great price. Their LPKs are a bargain as well. Of course we don't know what direction you want to go so just a suggestion for a common path that won't break the bank. Anyway, something to do now until you figure out the upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Nice looking lower! And a good start.

Assuming they're in stock you might as well stick with PSA for the LPK and RE/stock kit. Hard to beat prices. I recently got their milspec RE kit with everything but the sliding stock for $40 and it was good quality for a great price. Their LPKs are a bargain as well. Of course we don't know what direction you want to go so just a suggestion for a common path that won't break the bank. Anyway, something to do now until you figure out the upper.
I was looking at the PSA LPKs...I also looked at RRA, daniel defense, and I saw a MOE kit that also came with the buffer tube and stock. Just still trying to learn what companies are good quality and what to stay away from. I might just go ahead and order the PSA kit if you think that's my best option.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
I was looking at the PSA LPKs...I also looked at RRA, daniel defense, and I saw a MOE kit that also came with the buffer tube and stock. Just still trying to learn what companies are good quality and what to stay away from. I might just go ahead and order the PSA kit if you think that's my best option.
RRA, DD and PSA all good choices, would be hard to go wrong with any of those. DD does have a reputation for a smooth Mil-Spec trigger...YMMV.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington