Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   My first build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-first-build-62994/)

jordan89 04-21-2012 05:52 PM

My first build

1 Attachment(s)
Well I have been wanting to build an AR for awhile now but something always comes up that stops me from doing so. So I've decided that im going to buy and build little by little.

Here is what I got so far
A PSA stripped lower.

Attachment 44163

I'm excited to get this started...even though it might be awhile.

I'm going to post updates/questions here. I am going to try my best to utilize the search feature but please forgive me if I ask questions that's already been answered.

I have read thru a few threads on building an AR but I am open to advice and suggestions....after all I haven't decided on a upper or a parts kit to complete my lower yet.

BenLuby 04-21-2012 06:02 PM

You'll find a lot of good information in the stickies up top. They can help you actually build an entire lower. We also have a ton of threads on builds on this section, which go into great detail and debate on good and bad parts to order, as well as company reputations. You'll learn soon enough who the guru's are, and the wannabe guru's. Biggest thing is to take your time and do it right.

Jpyle 04-21-2012 06:06 PM

Cool...you're off to a good start. Have fun!

Kinetics 04-21-2012 07:49 PM

Nice lower, same one as me :D Good luck, and yeah definitely read the stickies

purehavoc 04-21-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetics (Post 777983)
Nice lower, same one as me :D Good luck, and yeah definitely read the stickies

Hey you get those mags yet ?

jordan89 04-21-2012 07:58 PM

Lots of great info in the stickies! I'm shopping around for LPKs and stuff. Sooo much to choose from!

purehavoc 04-21-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan89 (Post 777904)
Well I have been wanting to build an AR for awhile now but something always comes up that stops me from doing so. So I've decided that im going to buy and build little by little.

Here is what I got so far
A PSA stripped lower.

Attachment 44163

I'm excited to get this started...even though it might be awhile.

I'm going to post updates/questions here. I am going to try my best to utilize the search feature but please forgive me if I ask questions that's already been answered.

I have read thru a few threads on building an AR but I am open to advice and suggestions....after all I haven't decided on a upper or a parts kit to complete my lower yet.

Wow its really hard to believe they have moved 12000 lowers since december , one of mine is in the 10,000 series and the other in the 11,000 series , your in the 22,000 series , no wonder its taking forever to get stuff . LOL :D

Quentin 04-21-2012 11:20 PM

Nice looking lower! And a good start.

Assuming they're in stock you might as well stick with PSA for the LPK and RE/stock kit. Hard to beat prices. I recently got their milspec RE kit with everything but the sliding stock for $40 and it was good quality for a great price. Their LPKs are a bargain as well. Of course we don't know what direction you want to go so just a suggestion for a common path that won't break the bank. Anyway, something to do now until you figure out the upper.

jordan89 04-21-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
Nice looking lower! And a good start.

Assuming they're in stock you might as well stick with PSA for the LPK and RE/stock kit. Hard to beat prices. I recently got their milspec RE kit with everything but the sliding stock for $40 and it was good quality for a great price. Their LPKs are a bargain as well. Of course we don't know what direction you want to go so just a suggestion for a common path that won't break the bank. Anyway, something to do now until you figure out the upper.

I was looking at the PSA LPKs...I also looked at RRA, daniel defense, and I saw a MOE kit that also came with the buffer tube and stock. Just still trying to learn what companies are good quality and what to stay away from. I might just go ahead and order the PSA kit if you think that's my best option.

Jpyle 04-21-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan89 (Post 778161)
I was looking at the PSA LPKs...I also looked at RRA, daniel defense, and I saw a MOE kit that also came with the buffer tube and stock. Just still trying to learn what companies are good quality and what to stay away from. I might just go ahead and order the PSA kit if you think that's my best option.

RRA, DD and PSA all good choices, would be hard to go wrong with any of those. DD does have a reputation for a smooth Mil-Spec trigger...YMMV.