Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My First Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First Build

Hey guys first off I just want to say that this website seems great and the members seem very informative unlike other boards so hopefully I'll be sticking around here for awhile as the site grows. But what this thread is really about is the fact that I want to build my own AR-15. I would just buy a solid gun already setup but when I'm finished I want to be able to say "I built that". Kind of a pride thing I guess. Anyways I don't know to much about AR-15's. I have shot a couple and it was by far the funnest gun I have ever used which is why I want to build one. I want a gun that I'll be able to do some long range shooting with in the future so that will be its primary use. Like I said I don't know to much about these guns but I plan on learning, so what would you guys recommend for this build and why? Your the experts so lets hear how you would build/have built you setups. Appreciate the information and advice guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It depends on the level of depth you want to get to. Do you want to build it completely from the ground up, assembling each individual part? Or are you content buying, for example, a stripped lower and installing an already-assembled lower parts kit (trigger group), and mating it to a mostly-assembled upper?

If you're good with the latter method, you can save a bunch of money and have it built in under two hours without ever having done it before if you're reasonably good with your hands.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #3

i don't think i would have a problem assembling a gun from scratch, im just not sure what to get and where to get it from.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_P View Post
i don't think i would have a problem assembling a gun from scratch, im just not sure what to get and where to get it from.
Then I'll defer to others with more experience. But I would suggest the Equipment Exchange at ar15.com at a minimum as a source for parts.

Think about what you want this rifle to be. Then, if you're really serious about building it from the ground up, buy the best parts that will get you what you want.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

are you from alabama and work for Academy by any chance ? and if so why does a marine need to know how to build a AR lol

Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #6

lnope im from sioux city, ia. i wouldnt give myself the title marine yet because ive still got to go through basic