My first AR what should I get ??? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first AR what should I get ???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,760
Liked 1156 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Default

If you have the money, purchase a Colt 6520 or 6720. I'm partial to pencil barrels. I'm not sure about you, but I won't be mounting any 40MM grenade launchers to my home defense weapon or worry about melting the barrel defending against a foreign invasion.

Get an Aimpoint Comp M3, Aimpoint Micro, or EoTech XPS. Realize that the XPS sights eat batteries and make sure you turn em off.

Get a SureFire X300 and mount it to the hand guard. Drilled or pinned through a hand guard hole, doesn't matter, so long as you can reach the switch and maintain a comfortable grip.

If you aren't shooting past 200 yards, then you don't need a free float hand guard.

I prefer the slim single heat shield hand guards to the double heat shield style hand guards. If the heat bothers you, invest in a pair of Nomex or CarbonX gloves.

Purchase PMAG's. Gen 2 or Gen 3, doesn't matter. Use USGI aluminum magazines for range use only. I think the 20 rounders are plenty for in-home use and a spare easily fits in a normal pants pocket.

Purchase a BCM GunFighter charging handle, BCM grip or MagPul MOE grip, and a MagPul MOE or CTR stock. Some of the variants from Colt may come with the MOE grip and MOE or CTR stock.

A carbine is supposed to be a lightweight weapon. I don't see the point in trying to make a carbine weigh as much as a battle rifle or trying to make a carbine a sniping rifle.

If you feel the need to purchase a carbine suitable for infantry use, purchase an AK from Arsenal or a SCAR 16S. Realize that both of those weapons are heavier and, in the case of the SCAR, cost a lot more.

If you, like me, realize that the lightweight AR-15 carbines are ideal home defense weapons and won't likely see service much further than your front doorstep, then you can understand why you don't need a machine gun barrel, a gas piston, or anything that adds unnecessary weight or bulk to the weapon, no matter how cool it looks.

There are plenty of quality AR-15 carbines out there. Colt only makes carbines to pass military quality control checks. There are better quality carbines available from other manufacturers and there are lesser quality carbines available from other manufacturers. I happen to like the quality control checks and I don't care to spend more than a grand on a basic carbine. The Colt fit my home defense carbine budget and if you keep it lubed and use quality magazines, it just works.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I keep seeing posts saying," let the craziness die down". What makes y'all so sure that the ban will it pass.

__________________
LittleByrd97 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #63
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,869
Liked 2216 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 800

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleByrd97 View Post
I keep seeing posts saying," let the craziness die down". What makes y'all so sure that the ban will it pass.
You might want to try and rephrase that question. I'm not sure what you're asking.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jharder0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

@ccrow175 lol just a point of view I guess. Great gun and am super jealous of anyone who owns one. Just looking at it from a college kids perspective on a budget 😝
All I meant by it was you can get a solid quality firearm without breaking the bank.

__________________
jharder0002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jharder0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Shucknshoot, only complaint I'd have their is wallmart itself lol. Try not to support big business whenever I can. That being said shellin out 3k for one at a place like buds or any gun store at this point trying to make a buck is absurd.
Cheers.

__________________
jharder0002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnbrowning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 419
Liked 136 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Not a good time to buy AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
???? Not sure what you were trying to say. Might want to try that again.
I'm saying the ARs you'll find have a premium attached($). The ammo you find have have the same. Gun shops are bare. What are you going to do?
__________________
johnbrowning is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jharder0002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Littlybyrd97 not saying that it will. Just that right now it's impossible to find... Anything. Once it's settled either way people will stop hoarding ammo, parts, etc. even it it does pass it's not a ban of individual parts just the rifle as a whole (from what I understand). Stuff will become available when suppliers can meet the demand of the products their making.

__________________
jharder0002 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,589
Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
If you have the money, purchase a Colt 6520 or 6720. I'm partial to pencil barrels. I'm not sure about you, but I won't be mounting any 40MM grenade launchers to my home defense weapon or worry about melting the barrel defending against a foreign invasion.

Get an Aimpoint Comp M3, Aimpoint Micro, or EoTech XPS. Realize that the XPS sights eat batteries and make sure you turn em off.

Get a SureFire X300 and mount it to the hand guard. Drilled or pinned through a hand guard hole, doesn't matter, so long as you can reach the switch and maintain a comfortable grip.

If you aren't shooting past 200 yards, then you don't need a free float hand guard.

I prefer the slim single heat shield hand guards to the double heat shield style hand guards. If the heat bothers you, invest in a pair of Nomex or CarbonX gloves.

Purchase PMAG's. Gen 2 or Gen 3, doesn't matter. Use USGI aluminum magazines for range use only. I think the 20 rounders are plenty for in-home use and a spare easily fits in a normal pants pocket.

Purchase a BCM GunFighter charging handle, BCM grip or MagPul MOE grip, and a MagPul MOE or CTR stock. Some of the variants from Colt may come with the MOE grip and MOE or CTR stock.

A carbine is supposed to be a lightweight weapon. I don't see the point in trying to make a carbine weigh as much as a battle rifle or trying to make a carbine a sniping rifle.

If you feel the need to purchase a carbine suitable for infantry use, purchase an AK from Arsenal or a SCAR 16S. Realize that both of those weapons are heavier and, in the case of the SCAR, cost a lot more.

If you, like me, realize that the lightweight AR-15 carbines are ideal home defense weapons and won't likely see service much further than your front doorstep, then you can understand why you don't need a machine gun barrel, a gas piston, or anything that adds unnecessary weight or bulk to the weapon, no matter how cool it looks.

There are plenty of quality AR-15 carbines out there. Colt only makes carbines to pass military quality control checks. There are better quality carbines available from other manufacturers and there are lesser quality carbines available from other manufacturers. I happen to like the quality control checks and I don't care to spend more than a grand on a basic carbine. The Colt fit my home defense carbine budget and if you keep it lubed and use quality magazines, it just works.
A lot of good advice there. I also like the pencil barrel and have two ARs set up that way. I really like the Colt 6720 but went with BCM and Daniel Defense mainly because I want midlength gas with a 16" barrel.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

You might want to try and rephrase that question. I'm not sure what you're asking.
Sorry I was in a hurry trying to type before church. What I meant was when a new person is asking for advice on which AR to buy, some of the experienced buyers say to hold off and wait for the panic to die down. And my question was what makes the seasoned buyers so confident that a ban will not pass.
__________________
LittleByrd97 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #70
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleByrd97 View Post
Sorry I was in a hurry trying to type before church. What I meant was when a new person is asking for advice on which AR to buy, some of the experienced buyers say to hold off and wait for the panic to die down. And my question was what makes the seasoned buyers so confident that a ban will not pass.
now this my opinion, and strictly my own. i don't believe that they will get it to pass. simply because any politician that does sign it would be singing his own pink slip on his career. i just feel they don't have the support needed to get it to pass. also many states are starting legislation to block these bans and restrictions. the states are backing up the citizens. many people are getting smart enough to realize these bans would not have prevented any of these recent tragic events and realize they are useless.

i am not saying another ban won't be passed, but i feel that it just isn't going to happen. in reality, either way you go it's a gamble. but i'm gambling that it won't happen and am one that says just wait it out and let the panic die off.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes