Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first AR need a little help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My first AR need a little help

hello I'm a first time AR buyer and not really sure which to consider. I have a price range at around $1000 and I plan on hunting coyote with it. it would be nice to reach out at max 250 yards with a high power scope and maybe laser genetics to hunt at night. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I would consider the S&W M&P 15, a Rock River Arms, and Doublestar. They are all within your price range, and are solid performers. There was a sticky somewhere on this forum a while back that rated the more well known names. Not sure where it is, or the author.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hi a standard 16" or 14.5" will easily get you to 300 yards and more. 250 is nothing for a good AR. I would rethink your scope choice as finding your sight picture is difficult with high powered optics. A lower power with generous field of view will get you on target faster. Maybe a 1-4, 1-6, 2-7, or 3-9 at the most.

I would start by figuring out what kind of ammo I will be using primarily and then building around that.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

I say build your own lower , and purchase a complete upper .its not hard to build the lower , the upper just pins to it with 2 pins . Pretty simple rifle really and you can save yourself about $200 and you will know how it all the parts works that way . Go to PSA and take a look I will build you a list of the basic AR

Parts list , some of this is out of stock " The stripped Lower everything else was in stock at this time " but their stuff comes in stock daily so keep your eyes peeled

Lower $99 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/ar-15-parts-sale/palmetto-state-armory-blemished-lower-receiver.html

Lower build kit $199 w/ BCG 158 C bolt http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/psa-classic-lower-build-kit-m16-and-bolt-carrier-group.html

Hammer forged upper $449 daily deal only so act fast http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-hammer-forged-m4a1-ss12g2-premium-16-stripped-railed-blem-upper-ready-for-duty.html

Charging Handle $20 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/charging-handles/ar15-m16-charging-handle-6578.html

Less than $800 to your door and you will have one hell of a nice rifle right there . That will save you some money for optics and ammo . It has the MI hand guard which is a quality piece that usually costs $189 by its self . Have fun !!!!!!!! Everything was in stock except the lower and they come and go daily .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-20-2013 at 07:53 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Thank you for the posts and help I'm not sure if I trust myself building a lower but I was looking at stag arms. How do you guys feels about those?

Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwulf View Post
Thank you for the posts and help I'm not sure if I trust myself building a lower but I was looking at stag arms. How do you guys feels about those?
Hey its very simple to do , you cant put the wrong piece in the wrong hole , its really self explanatory. Im 100% sure I could walk you thru it in about 20 minutes

Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwulf View Post
Stags an awsome company. Ive had a 16in upper for 2years now and its run with no problems. There 18in upper is also a really nice buy. Thats if you can find it. Stick with a mid lenght gas system. I have a car and a mid and the mid shoots alittle nicer. No over gasing or problems.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 886 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwulf
I just built a 300 Blackout off of a Stag stripped lower. Everything fit together nice and tight, just how you want it. I highly recommend Stag parts.

image-3949491596.jpg
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I built one using a Stag stripped lower and its a damn tight fit with the PSA upper , it has no gap and does not fit loose like some the lowers I have used in the past ,

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey buddy here is a weekend deal you should not pass up , that is a $400 optic on the top of that rifle all for $999.99 That make one hell of a cheap priced rifle . I have that same rifle and it has had over 8000 flawless rounds ran thru it and no issues .It runs steel cased and brass no problems .
Check it out http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/13834/s/psa-16-m4-premium-patrol-carbine-package/