Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first AR build: Magpul Zombie Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My first AR build: Magpul Zombie Hunter

Rock River lower w/ 2-stage trigger
Bushmaster Patrolman 16" upper
Yankee Hill flip-up front and rear sights
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE handguard w/MVG foregrip
Magpul MIAD grip/trigger guard
Magpul ASAP sling mount
Bushnell MP red dot sight

This thing's been a work in progress for almost a year now.
Before all you old skool anti-"black gun" types cast the first stone, I'm not going to BS myself and say I can use it for hunting or home defense or whatever... I just wanted a gun that was cool, lightweight and fun to shoot.
Initial range report was consistent 4-4.5" groups at 100yds with 5 rounds. I know this sounds unimpressive, but the MP is only capable of 3MOA, so I'm satisfied with that for now. I'm sure it will improve with practice.
I'm open to feedback, so fire away!!

014.jpg   016.jpg   022.jpg   020.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Well, coastie, that's just plain ol' purdy, now isn't it?

How's that scope? The price is right, but that raises questions for an ACOG clone...

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #3

It's only a 1x red/green dot, but it works perfect for an AR.

Last edited by AKCoastie89; 07-23-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Very nice SUR you got there. 4 - 4.5" groups at 100 yds does not sound right though, you should be able to get sub 3" all day long. Were you shooting off hand or from a rest? Have you shot it with the BUIS. What grain ammo are you shooting, what's the barrel twist rate?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #5

I was shooting with the mag resting on the bench. The barrel's a 1:9" twist and i was using 40gr Remax ballistic tip factory ammo.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post
I was shooting with the mag resting on the bench. The barrel's a 1:9" twist and i was using 40gr Remax ballistic tip factory ammo.
Just a hunch but next time out try a slightly heavier bullet, 55gr or 62gr. A 1:9 might be borderline for using a 40gr load, especially with a 16" barrel. The ballistic tip may keep the round from vaporizing from the overspinning but accuracy may be suffering. A sandbag or a range bag will also provide a more stable rest than the mag. Have fun...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good looking weapon you've put together there. You won't find to many black rifle bashers here. In fact, the longer you stay, the more you'll find you have to have one. I'm proof of that.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
In fact, the longer you stay, the more you'll find you have to have one. I'm proof of that.
+1. I just finished mine a couple weeks ago. Although Spitty's build is a tad bit more involved than the one I did.

Good looking stick though. Keep on plinkin

Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post

Before all you old skool anti-"black gun" types cast the first stone, I'm not going to BS myself and say I can use it for hunting or home defense or whatever...
I don't think we have "those types" running around here. The guys with the AR's, and even the guys with the AK's, pretty much appreciate a nice weapon, which you definitely have.

I would like to say, well done!

Is your fore-end free floated? 3 MOA seems a bit large in grouping from what I have come to expect from a 16" barreled AR.

I would love to consult as you move forward dressing this beauty out for accuracy.

JD

Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post

But for a first time...you did great. And the most important part is, not only that you did it yourself, but it turned out the way YOU wanted it to. That looks pretty darn good.
Quoted for Truth!!

JD