Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My First AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Did I miss the listing for the lower receiver parts kit? More important the trigger selection? After my first build I went back and replaced the standard trigger springs with a JP light spring kit. Made a big difference in the trigger action. You may want to spend the extra 15 bucks right at the start if you haven;t already upgraded the trigger selection.

RifleGear - JP Reduced Power Spring Kit

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Big river? Hmmm... Amazon.com? Anyway, I hope you like your new RDS Urban.

But you shouldn't be able to get a well made bolt in the carrier upside down because the cam pin drops in only one side of the cam pin hole. Yours goes in both sides? That ain't right.

Do you know who made the BCG? I'm afraid it sounds low quality if the cam pin goes in either way...
I've been fretting over this since I first read this post, and I now realize where the confusion lies, what I meant was I put the bolt Carrier assembly in the upper backwards. I'm not sure that makes things any better, but the assembly came... well... assembled.

As far as who made it, I remember recognizing the name, but can't remember what it was. The bolt is stamped MP, which from what I understand is good thing. It's also stamped WTC, but I've been totally unable to find anything that can tell me what THAT means. The bolt carrier group (that's the big part that houses the bolt and firing pin right?) is Stamped either WTB or WIB it's tough to tell.

Had a chance to buy a bushmaster BCA but I passed to save 15 bucks cause I was told the difference wasn't that significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
If you made a mistake and bought a bad one, don't just go with it. Cut you losses and buy a quality BCG. It doesn't have to be a $200+ BCG, especially for your first AR, BUT Spike's, BCM, DD and LMT all make high quality BCGs and all of them are in the $150 range. Some less, some more. I have a BCM and Spike's, like 'em both.
If I bought a bad BCG what is the most likely result? I mean catastophic explosive failure resulting in death asside, is it likely to damage other parts of the gun from use? or am I looking at it just jamming more often? Can I use it in the meantime while I save up for a better BCA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
What is the whole point of having a chromed BCG? Is it just ease of cleaning?
I love vida in ways that are entirely emotionally unhealthy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Did I miss the listing for the lower receiver parts kit? More important the trigger selection? After my first build I went back and replaced the standard trigger springs with a JP light spring kit. Made a big difference in the trigger action. You may want to spend the extra 15 bucks right at the start if you haven;t already upgraded the trigger selection.

RifleGear - JP Reduced Power Spring Kit
I'll be buying my lower receiver parts kit from the same place I got my lower (addax). Since none of the places I got other parts from had a parts kit in stock. I'll call to confirm, but according to their site my options are daniel defense, double star, stag, and DPMS. any recommendations? Would any of those circumvent the need to for the JP light spring kit? I did the trigger job on my 10/22, polishing it all up, and stoning the sear, (even chamfered the bolt) and while I understand that the AR is a different animal, is that likely to improve trigger pull significantly?

They also list a RRA NM lower parts kit that's a two stage trigger... worth the extra 70 bucks?

Last edited by urban; 01-19-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #13

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Well it's a good indication that the bolt is stamped MP. You would *assume* that means it was high pressure and magnetic particle inspected.

Bushmaster BCGs are midrange so at $15 less you have to wonder about the quality of yours. If you subtract about $20 for the charging handle from the $135 you paid it's unlikely you got a high quality brand like Diggsbakes listed.

I wouldn't expect it to blow up in your face but be skeptical of the BCG for now. Definitely have the headspacing checked when you get the upper assembled. Can you contact the seller for more info on it? Hopefully someone here will know what those codes are, I do not.

As far as the LPKs you mentioned, I'd go with Daniel Defense or Stag. As far as triggers, I'm a fan of standard milspec in the AR and Stag has a good one in their kit. I'd live with the standard trigger for now and think about modding it later. You first want a stock rifle that functions before you start throwing curveballs at the design.

ETA:
I googled WIB bolt carrier and came up with these hits below. It sounds like a $90 BCG so you may want to read through what turned up. Honestly I would sell it or put it off to the side as a spare. Your Daniel Defense barrel cries for more quality.

http://www.google.com/search?q=WIB+bolt+carrier&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

ETA even more:
Urban, I'm not trying to alarm you, just pointing out what concerns me. And I'll admit I'm biased toward high quality parts. No doubt many factory rifles on the shelf have marginal BCGs that would perform well for 90% of us. Where you really get worried is with high use/abuse and in a profession where you depend on your firearms.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-19-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you are going with the YHM diamond forearm than you should look at their barrels.. I am in the middle of my latest build and used a Diamond Spector rail and The Diamond fluted barrel really is a beautiful compliment to it

Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
I'll be buying my lower receiver parts kit from the same place I got my lower (addax). Since none of the places I got other parts from had a parts kit in stock. I'll call to confirm, but according to their site my options are daniel defense, double star, stag, and DPMS. any recommendations? Would any of those circumvent the need to for the JP light spring kit? I did the trigger job on my 10/22, polishing it all up, and stoning the sear, (even chamfered the bolt) and while I understand that the AR is a different animal, is that likely to improve trigger pull significantly?

They also list a RRA NM lower parts kit that's a two stage trigger... worth the extra 70 bucks?
In my first build I did DPMS as my lower kit and then went back to change to the JP springs. I do not think any of those other kits are a significant change to a standard trigger. A significant improvement to the trigger group will usually add a significant increase to the cost of the kit.

In my second build I used the RR NM two stage. Very crisp. Is it worth 55 dollars more than the JP kit? IMO, not on a rifle used for plinking or zombie defense.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."