My first AR build 2012... - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first AR build 2012...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks man. I just hope I get to do it.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
You are correct, rails can get quite costly. Samson makes a rail for RainierArms that is a copy of their onw line but with a slightly different pattern.

Apex has recieved some good reviews and is a rail I'd like to try.
I should of got this idea before the holiday sales, oh well.

I am really liking the Apex free float handguard idea. The only thing I do not like is the handguard mounts. Very similar to the Troy idea of "clamping" to the barrel nut. Ill look into Samson, and hope DD has a sale soon

I'm not in a rush. I'm still looking at buffer weights. Thinking of going with a H to start. I was all set to order when I stumbled upon the STR stock. That and I am still in the air on getting the Geiselle SSA-E or if its worth to have the adjust ability with the Hi Speed and faster strike. Then I think for the price I could get a DD rail.

Ill post pics of the lower this weekend. I left the camera at a family members house that hosted New Years.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #73

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFive View Post
I should of got this idea before the holiday sales, oh well.

I am really liking the Apex free float handguard idea. The only thing I do not like is the handguard mounts. Very similar to the Troy idea of "clamping" to the barrel nut. Ill look into Samson, and hope DD has a sale soon

I'm not in a rush. I'm still looking at buffer weights. Thinking of going with a H to start. I was all set to order when I stumbled upon the STR stock. That and I am still in the air on getting the Geiselle SSA-E or if its worth to have the adjust ability with the Hi Speed and faster strike. Then I think for the price I could get a DD rail.

Ill post pics of the lower this weekend. I left the camera at a family members house that hosted New Years.
I've purchased 3 Troy EXTs and haven't had a problem w/ them. The Samson attaches in the same manner.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFive View Post
That and I am still in the air on getting the Geiselle SSA-E or if its worth to have the adjust ability with the Hi Speed and faster strike. Then I think for the price I could get a DD rail.
If you want a really nice (but still affordable) 2-stage trigger, go with the Rock River. I put one in my dad's lower when we built it, that trigger rocks. But the real benefit is price, it's significantly cheaper than other 2-stage triggers like the Geiselle.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
If you want a really nice (but still affordable) 2-stage trigger, go with the Rock River. I put one in my dad's lower when we built it, that trigger rocks. But the real benefit is price, it's significantly cheaper than other 2-stage triggers like the Geiselle.
Many locals have RRA triggers. Some have begun to get mushy as they creep the higher round count. Ive emailed back and fourth with Bill Geiselle and he has been very informative and fourth coming about tolerances between production groups. I can say great customer service on that note. Plus the hammer strike is significantly faster than most other 2 stage triggers. H-S is 4.4ms SSA is 5.0ms.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Anyway, not trying to derail this topic into a discussion on optics as it has been a great thread on planning and designing an AR. Getting into the details, laboring over the details - before buying. I wish more first time buyers would put more thought and research into their AR, or any purchase. As they say the devil's in the details.

Q to Q: I "over think" things too. Actually I find that much of the pleasure of buying something new. When I pulled the trigger on my upper I still was worried over LW profile vs. gov't and BCM vs. Daniel Defense. The faster twist rate of BCM/DD was a concern but I figured they knew what they were doing and it would work with my ammo selection. An incredible sale on DD solved the brand dilemma and DD's hammer forging made me feel much better about LW. After a year I'm still very pleased with my choices and glad I didn't let that sale slip away. As far as today, I'd still have a dilemma between BCM and DD but don't think it matters much. I'd still go LW but hammer forging wouldn't be a requirement.

Anyway, don't let us rush you. Pull the trigger when you're ready. But definitely keep us updated. And hey how bout some pics of your lower build!
Sorry I missed this before buy Than you I appreciate the comment. Research is key to end up with the results you want, like you always say "it's getting the right parts together."