My first AR build 2012... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

My first AR build 2012...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Q5,

Not to worry all of the major manufacturers of the AR-15 barrels are using the 5.56 chambers although they may state 223/5.56. They put the 223 designation on there so it does not confuse the new person to the AR15s. A Wilde chamber is also for all practical purposes a 5.56 match chamber. All the 5.56 chambers and Wylde Chambered rifles will shoot the 223 ammunition as well as the 5.56 ammunition very well. My choice on the barrel twist for a tactical rifle is 1:9 and 1:8 on the Varmint and Match Rifles. You can build that rifle with no problem. There is enough good folks here that will be glad to help you with every step. But for the novice I would suggest just buying a complete upper and bolt carrier assembly. That will prevent you from having to buy some special tools to get the upper built.

Good Luck!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbush View Post
... I want to build a 14.5 inch lightweight carbine, but almost all the barrels I've found or reasonably priced uppers have a 1:7 twist. Since this rifle will be used for general shooting it would not be unrealistic for me to find a good price on 55 gr ammo from my LGS. I'm concerned that the twist rate my be to fast for the 55 gr ammo. I'd hate to limit myself to 62 or heavier. I rarely shoot over 100 yds so this may not be an issue.

I've read the sticky and discussions on this and other forums, but know one has said whether you lose alot of accuracy or not. Can someone chime in about 55 gr ammo in a 1:7 twist at short range (under 100 yds)
Every barrel is different so it's hard to say. All I can say is my 1:9 ArmaLite and 1:7 Daniel Defense (both 16" midlengths) are 2MOA shooters with 55 and 62gr ammo they like. I'm satisfied with that, you may not be.

I think a 14.5 to 16" LW midlength gas carbine is ideal and would lean toward a 1:7 twist.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well the standard government profiles are as thin as the pencil barrel under the handguards, then thickens from there to the muzzle. Doesn't make much sense so why not just get the lightweight barrel in the first place and save 5 oz or more. You'd be amazed how maneuverable this makes the rifle. I haven't noticed POI drift due to heat up but I don't dump magazines either. My Daniel Defense LW midlength barrel is CHF so that may help in that regard but I agree with you that hammer forging usually is not necessary.

Nothing wrong with building up a stripped upper but there are so many great factory built uppers configured just about anyway you want (and test fired). You don't save much or anything building an upper so most of us just build the lower and shop around for the right upper.
I see, well it appears I was under a misconception. I had seen what was refereed to as a medium profile barrel that kept the same thickness under the handguard as well. I though Government profile was different from medium. I could swear some barrel manufacturers made an barrel that fell in between a heavy and lightweight but would keep same thickness under the handguard. Hmm interesting thanks for clearing that up.

So in essence 1:7 twist and 1:9 would be fine for sub 200 yard shooting of both 55gr and 62gr?

So only 1 vote for an HBar that is surprising haha well lightweight = less swing weight

----

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sniper03! I look forward to the build.

The reason why I am thinking about building an upper would be due to the fact that some brands do not offer real in depth customization so later on if I would like to free float the barrel I would have to swap out gas blocks etc. I have a tq wrench full sets of punches, I figure I would have to purchase the upper vice block to get the right tq specs on the barrel. If there really are little to no savings and I can find the upper I would like to build already made then I would purchase that since they test fire the upper and check all clearances. I will probably end up waiting on the upper until after PSA updates. I want to have the information before I choose anyways.

Last edited by QFive; 01-02-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Do you have a link to what you referred to as medium profile? I assumed you meant gov't as that's in between pencil and HBAR but there are other profiles. One interesting profile gradually tapers from the chamber to the muzzle which should be a great performer.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Do you have a link to what you referred to as medium profile? I assumed you meant gov't as that's in between pencil and HBAR but there are other profiles. One interesting profile gradually tapers from the chamber to the muzzle which should be a great performer.
Sure here is the first one that popped up. I saw another company but I believe both are custom barrel manufacturers so they are not a rule of standard. You were right M4 is interchangeable with medium. My mistake.

AR15BARRELS.COM - Barrel Profiles

Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbush View Post
I've kinda got the same situation going on. I want to build a 14.5 inch lightweight carbine, but almost all the barrels I've found or reasonably priced uppers have a 1:7 twist. Since this rifle will be used for general shooting it would not be unrealistic for me to find a good price on 55 gr ammo from my LGS. I'm concerned that the twist rate my be to fast for the 55 gr ammo. I'd hate to limit myself to 62 or heavier. I rarely shoot over 100 yds so this may not be an issue.

I've read the sticky and discussions on this and other forums, but know one has said whether you lose alot of accuracy or not. Can someone chime in about 55 gr ammo in a 1:7 twist at short range (under 100 yds)
I use 55 grain 193 to shoot 3 Gun and do well, usually in the middle of the pack. Considering I am new to the sport and most of the others have been doing it for quite some time it's not all bad.

I also shoot a fair amount of Tula 62 grain HP.

This Sat. I made one nice hole in a couple targets using the Tula. A couple days before that I did the same w/ 193. The only difference being the recoil is slightly stronger w/ the 193.

At 100 it opens up a bit but using a RDS it's expected.

1:7 is by far the best if you're not shooting anything under 55.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I use 55 grain 193 to shoot 3 Gun and do well, usually in the middle of the pack. Considering I am new to the sport and most of the others have been doing it for quite some time it's not all bad.

I also shoot a fair amount of Tula 62 grain HP.

This Sat. I made one nice hole in a couple targets using the Tula. A couple days before that I did the same w/ 193. The only difference being the recoil is slightly stronger w/ the 193.

At 100 it opens up a bit but using a RDS it's expected.

1:7 is by far the best if you're not shooting anything under 55.
If you don't mind me asking what is the furthest you have shot with 55gr in the 1:7 and what moa?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFive View Post
Sure here is the first one that popped up. I saw another company but I believe both are custom barrel manufacturers so they are not a rule of standard. You were right M4 is interchangeable with medium. My mistake.

AR15BARRELS.COM - Barrel Profiles
That medium profile in your link is very much like my ArmaLite barrel which I tend to refer to as a HBAR. It is a pound heavier than my lightweight barrel (both 16"). There's not a whole lot of difference their medium and HBAR, just a taper in the former and of course more weight in the latter.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #29

Quote:
That medium profile in your link is very much like my ArmaLite barrel which I tend to refer to as a HBAR. It is a pound heavier than my lightweight barrel (both 16"). There's not a whole lot of difference their medium and HBAR, just a taper in the former and of course more weight in the latter.
In all honesty if I can get reliability and the feeling that if I had to I could put round after round into that barrel and it would keep on taking it I would go with the lightest option that can deliver those results. From what I have seen that leads me towards a heavier profile barrel, however 1lb is a substantial amount of added weight to the front end... decisions.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm going to throw this one out there. Rock River has a medium weight barrel available in a 14.5" carbine length. They aren't cheap at $245 ea., but they have a nice profile vs. their standard heavy profile. The link provided below is their barrel page on the RRA factory website. The pictures on that page are very informative. The difference between the 16" mid-length standard heavy and the lightweight is dramatic.

My experience with RRA barrels is that they are very accurate.

Here's the link:

Rock River Arms: 7 / 10.5 / 14.5 / 16 / 20 Inch Chrome Moly Barrels

Last edited by Snakedriver; 01-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.