My first AR build
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My first AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first AR build

Hey y'all, every one else posts about their new babys on here and I felt left out. This was my first AR-15 build, I had a set budget and needed to stay under it. These days I don't think many can afford to splurge. My goal was a good solid AR that goes bang and gets "minute of bad guy". I don't have any pics yet but I wanted to list what parts I put on there and see what you guys thought, I really respect the opinions of the men and women on here. In the future I plan on adding better parts as I come by the money until I get her as good as I can. If you feel like mentioning some parts that you feel should be the on the top of the list as far as upgrades let me know.

lower half
Stag Arms stripped lower reciever
DPMS lpk
tapco six position stock

my upper is a 16in, 1/9 twist, chrome lined barrel, A3, with an A2 flash on the end. I got it with a standard BCG and handle. This portion of the upper was from Del-ton inc. I researched them and they seemed to have a fine reputation, I am still waiting on this upper half to arrive, hopefully by the end of the month.

I got a detachable carry handle build by UTG? from cheaper than dirt. Had a higher majority of good ratings than bad and the budget was about out

all told this whole thing has cost me about $830 after tax and shipping. Let me know what you think, I don't mind you telling me what I did wrong or what I should have bought but just be nice about it folks thanks for any input in advance

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #2

Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

2Hot,It looks like you did your homework and will have a fine rifle when your upper arrives. I think you will be happy with your setup,just lube the BCG,and check the bolts on it and make sure they have been staked proper before firing. Also,don't get upset if you have a few FTF,FTE,FTL,or other problems when you fire it while breaking things in. Sometimes it just takes a little range time for everything to start working without a few problems when you mate different components together.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Got any pics of said build? Like Tx said, sounds like you did your homework.

Congratulations, now go lose that thing in a boating accident.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post

lower half
Stag Arms stripped lower reciever
DPMS lpk
tapco six position stock

my upper is a 16in, 1/9 twist, chrome lined barrel, A3, with an A2 flash on the end. I got it with a standard BCG and handle. This portion of the upper was from Del-ton inc. I researched them and they seemed to have a fine reputation, I am still waiting on this upper half to arrive, hopefully by the end of the month.

I got a detachable carry handle build by UTG? from cheaper than dirt. Had a higher majority of good ratings than bad and the budget was about out
2Hot - You have a nice assembly there. A couple of thoughts for you to consider. That Tapco stock is going to need to be staked in place. I have one on one of my rifles and the nut just didn't want to stay put, even when tightened with a carbine wrench good and solid.

Nothing wrong with Del-Ton. In this day and age, with the advances in CNC and other processes, most of the receivers are pretty much the same. The only real difference is when you buy a completely milled upper and lower from one block of solid stock. Some of the custom houses do that.

The key in the fit is when you slap the upper and lower together. The lines should match and there shouldn't be any lit seen between the upper and lower when backlit and you are looking at the profile.

Having a slight gap is rare these days, but it does happen. That doesn't mean the gun won't shoot.

IF YOU HAVE A GAP: Using an Accu-Wedge ( and you watch, some part time Mall Ninja is going to stop by and tell you that the Accu-Wedge will get you killed ) will suck the upper down tight to the lower receiver and help compensate. They also take any play and rattle out of the upper, which is nice.

1:9 is good for the 55 grain and higher weight bullets, which is most of the battlefield stuff you would pick up, so that is a great choice.

One of the things I always recommend is that you consider changing that clamshell forend with a Free Float Tube from someone like YHM or other companies. It's pretty easy to change yourself, and adding a free float tube will improve accuracy, especially when the weapon is on a sling and you are really tied into it, shooting from a standing or cross-legged position.

I look forward to seeing some pictures and your first Range Report.

I have to warn you though, once you see how easy these things are to build and modify, they seem to multiply on you kind of quick.

JD

Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Txhillbilly- I will be sure to try and keep my chin up if, more likely when, I get those FTF, FTE and FTL. I had to look up what staking the bolt meant but I understand now. Hopefully I won't have to, however it doesn't look too difficult.

dog2000tj- I will try and get some good pics up here soon. I am a little embarrased though cause like the total newb that I am I scratched my lower recieve in a couple places. Arghhhh. People kept wanting to know what the problem was when I let out a curse every time I scratched my new baby. I can't believe I didn't have to buy a parts replacement kit for my detents and springs, I probably spent half an hour all told looking on the floor for those things. And my final failure was letting the hammer drop in my bolt release probably four times.ARHHHHHHHHHHHH oh well live and learn.

Dillinger- I saw how to stake the bolt screws but I can't comprehend how you would stake the stock. If you could tell me how or send me a link that would be amazing. I will have to wait for my upper to get in to see if I need an Accu-wedge or not. On the free float tube, how hard is it to install? I deffinently want one (thanks for showing me YHM, loved the prices) but it was one of the things I was waiting to buy. Christmas isn't too far away now is it...... I also wanted to ask you guys what type of sling you recommend, there seem like a plethera of choices and I am slightly confused. I am still rather new to shooting so any advice is welcome. Thanks for the replys keep em coming, I will try and post pics soon.

Quote:

Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keep the advice coming if you have it guys. I accept all comments. execpt mean ones lol

Quote:

Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My EBR is now complete

Hey every one just got my upper from Del-ton inc.
100_1362.jpg   100_1365.jpg   100_1367.jpg  

Quote:

Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Good looking stick. What is the goal for this unit? What is your end use scenario?

For me, I would dump that carry handle, mill that front ramp sight smooth, getting a new fore end that is free floated and a nice heads up sight like an Eotech.

You have a Range Report yet??

JD

Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right now it is just a plinker. But I figured that since the AR is so versitile I can change it to fill whatever roll I choose for it in the future and change it easily. I got the detachable handle so that when I get the $$ I can put an EOtech, AimPoint or what ever I please on there I just got that detachable handle so I would have SOMETHING so I could put some lead down range. I am looking at a YHM free float quad rail, have people had good experiences with them? No range report as of yet. However I hope to change that soon. I will post some pics when I do go.

Quote:

Last edited by 2hot2handle; 11-09-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lol just read back over the thread and saw that you were the one that put me onto YHM in the first place. What about staking the BCG? I put a pic on there so if you could let me know if it need it I'd preciate it. Thanks

Quote:

Tags
advice, ar-15, build, newbie