My First AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My First AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First AR

Good morning,

Im interested in buying my first AR.

Primary use: Shooting range 50-300yds. Family use, introduction gun to rifles. Once a month, approx 200 rounds a trip.

Options: .223, because ammo is less expensive; 16" Bull Barrel SS, flat top so I can mount a scope. Direct Gas Impingement, a forearm that I can mount a bipod too.

So I've looked and researched, researched and looked...and I've come to like the DPMS Panther Bull Sweet Sixteen. It has a great price point ($1000), basic setup. I can modify items (stock, trigger, grip) later once I get a feel for the rifle.

Another rifle i found was from American Spirit Arms 16" SS Bull M4 with a flat top. The magazine review I read was impressive, but it is more expensive.

Last is Rock Rivers LAR-15 Fred Eichler. I like the features and options, but don't like the paw print outlines on the forearm. Not sure what they were thinking. Ok, the wife said it was cute...come on now!

I plan to mount a Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope

I've never used these companies products or interacted with them. What advice can you give about these companies?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Of the brands you mentioned I would go with the Rock River. When I did the research prior to buying my first AR I went with an RRA. Mine has been very reliable and accurate so far. I haven't found anything about it to NOT like.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I second snakes opinion. I just got an RRA Operator 2 and it's amazing

Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For the price of the Fred E. model you can have a Daniel Defense. The DD is the better rifle, no comparison. You could also go with a BCM for a couple hundred less than the DD. There's better out there in that price range. That's a big chunk of change.

As a family use firearm is weight going to be a problem?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Of the ones mentioned I would elan towards the RRA. With that said for the $$ you could also be looking at a STAG, I assembled one for myself and it runs and shoots great

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments.

@ Mjkeat: I don't think rifle weight will be a problem.

Another question I have: Is it cheaper to buy a basic rifle and modify it on your own (for example stock, grips, trigger, forearm) or buy a package deal that has these upgrades already?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJax View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Another question I have: Is it cheaper to buy a basic rifle and modify it on your own (for example stock, grips, trigger, forearm) or buy a package deal that has these upgrades already?
I say buy it as you want it the first time , simply because you will need to buy tools if you want to change to a low profile gas block , change from a drop in handguard to a free floater or change barrels . Then once you change it all out its just sitting around collecting dust . most of the time it will be cheaper buying it already installed than purchasing it out right anyway . Grips are not a big deal, easy to change out and inexpensive anyway , Stocks not so much they vary from $50-$200 still easy to change unless you have to put on a different buffer tube then you will again need tools

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJax
Thanks for the comments.

Unless you're shooting from a bench weight is always a problem. I'm a 6ft 197lb vet w combat experience and excess weight is a performance hindrance.

Accessories should be added as you figure out what you need. If you know the stock, rail, optic, etc that works best for you then it is less expensive to purchase the AR already configured. If you don't know what works best for you and you order an AR with all the stiff on it already it can get expensive replacing stuff.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'd agree with MJ here, bulls are great fo the bench. But, if you are planning on lugging it around or shooting free hand, I'd give serious consideration to a lighter profile.

IF you are only planning on shooting 200 a trip, a medium contour should shoot very nicely for you. If you are gonna mount a high power scope and try for .5 moa groups with handloads, a bull barrel would be a great choice. If you think that LW profiles aren't accurate, come with me to the range and lets go bang some steel. We'll start out at 200 yards, then goto 300, and end the day at 400, with m193 or .223 cheap range grade ammo, unmagnified 4 moa red dot or irons.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Newest Threads