My FFL found an AR10 lower he will sell in CA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My FFL found an AR10 lower he will sell in CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My FFL found an AR10 lower he will sell in CA

OK after a "healthy discussion" on the merits of PC 12276.1 and the Kasler list with my FFL regarding BigCat's Aero lower, he said he did some research and DOJ agreed the Aero lower is illegal based on the "Armalite" component in the description.

He felt so bad that he looked around and found a lower that is legal to import to CA and he said he would order it for me. It is a CMMG G3 7.62mm lower. Other than knowing it is not REALLY an AR10 lower I don't know anything about this lower or any of the other 7.62 AR style lowers. According to him it uses G3 mags and DPMS uppers.

He told me I would be better off with this anyway, because the G3 mags are easier to find, cheaper and are available in the PRK 10 round limit. Also he believed the DPMS LR-308 uppers were cheaper than the AR10 and more reliable.

Can someone give me some advice on this on whether or not I'd be wasting my money.

Thanks

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 07-27-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Wow, you really got me thinking with this one. I am in Texas and unaffected by Kali stupidity, but an AR-10 platform that takes HK mags is very appealing to me. I have been considering the purchase of an AR-10 and had pretty much settled on the Rock River. Since I already have an HK-91 and a CETME, I have bou coup mags already. An AR that does not require any new magazine purchase intrigues me.

I checked the CMMG site and found their lowers work with "modified" DPMS uppers. A small amount of material must be removed from the upper to allow for the wider HK mags. A small investment in a little machine work is more than offset by the savings in mags.

They say complete firearms will be ready in 2011. We are over half way through 2011. I do not like being a firearm guinea pig.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts

Darin, why don't you look at the 300 AAC Blackout? It's an AR with a .30 cal barrel. You can get a pistol length or carbine length gas system and fire supersonic or subsonic ammo. In test, it's shown to be more powerful than a 7.62x39.

The ammo is a necked down .223 cartridge so it fits an AR mag with no modification, the BCG is the same, again you change nothing but a barrel. Advanced Armament, Noveske, Delta Company, CMMG, are on the market with uppers or complete rifles.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #4

Robo, so you agree that G3 mags are cheaper and easier to come across?

Car54, I am looking at the AR10 platform which is built on the .308. But definitely, if I were in the market for 7.62x39 that 300 is much better.

Thanks guys.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #5

Likes Given: 1

Default there defintly cheaper

AR-10 can get pricey
The g3 mags are all over there was a guy at the last gun show selling 20 used g3 mags for 65 bucks they were 20 rounds tho so idk about 10 round ones

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You can find the aluminum G-3 mags for about $2-3 each. Buy 30 of em and never have a worry in case a couple get damaged or wear out. I have a bunch of the alloy ones and 10-15 of the steel ones. I have never had a mag go bad.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #7

Likes Given: 1

Default ctd

has them for 1.97 a mag

Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #8

Good deal. Provided nothing drastic comes up, I'll deliver some cash next week.

Thanks guys

Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Hi Darin
I'm new here, but decided to start my first post with some suggestions for you. If you want a .308, the FAL can be made California legal. I bought one in 2010 that has a shroud screwed in place that covers the mag release button. It functions like the AR-15's "bullet button" that requires a tool (bullet tip) to remove the magazine.

I discovered that the shroud can be removed for maintainance purposes and I could also remove it if I left the state of California.

This year's purchase was a stripped AR lower receiver from a local gun shop for which I built a long-range target rifle in 6.5mm Grendel. I also purchased the required "bullet button" that needed to be sold with the receiver. I bought a 6.5mm kit from J&T Distributing to build the rifle. It's a better deer/hog cartridge than the .223 is, and if I leave the state of California I can swap out the "bullet button" with the stock magazine release that came with the build kit.

A final AR-15 option for you is an Olympic arms upper in either .25 WSSM or .30 OSSM. The .25 is ballisticly the same as the .25-06, and the .30 to the .30-06. Only problem is that because of the size of the cartridges, magazine capacity is only 4-5 rounds. Since you're limited to a hunting rifle with a 5 shoot magazine in California, that shouldn't be a big problem for us.
Good day,
Michael