Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My EBR is on the way ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My EBR is on the way ...

I just got an email from Del-Ton that my AR-15 "kit" that I ordered November 13th has shipped and I should have it in a few days.

I can finally join the ranks of the The Despicable EBR Owners of America --- until my good buddy Barack decides to seize it.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's good to hear John - welcome to the family!

Looking forward to some pics and your first range report.

JD

Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's good to hear John - welcome to the family!

Looking forward to some pics and your first range report.

JD
Will do. I expect it will be here Friday or Monday.

I got the DelTon RTK101 kit with:
DTI 16" 1x9 Heavy Barrel
YHM 4 Rail Free Float Tube
Standard Bolt & Carrier
M4 Buttstock
A2 Grip - Black
Carrying Handle:None
A2 Flash Hider
YHM Flip Up Front Gas Block/Sight
Standard Lower Parts
Standard Charging Handle
Flat Top Upper with T-Marks
YHM Flip-up rear sight

The lower is a DoubleStar stripped lower that I got last October before the prices went insane.

I got flip up front and rear BUIS because I have a 3x scope I plan to mount --- my eyes need all the help they can get ;-) I still need to get rail covers to cover the unused rails. I have four 20 round mags on hand and "a few rounds of .223 laying around" :-)

I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive bench rest (MTM Predator Shooting Rest - PSR30 ) to help with sighting in (and its convertible to allow me to sight my Ruger Mk III) -- any opinion? Also, any thoughts on an inexpensive pistol scope, 2-3x?

I may pop for a decent two stage trigger once my finances are replenished :-)

Most of my shooting, aside from zombies, will be 100-300 yards destroying paper so this should do me OK .

I'll do a brief review when I get it and perhaps some build photos and progress.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

That looks like a good set up. I like the YHM stuff and they are great to deal with. Having their BUIS system is a great idea.

The one thing that I would suggest you look at is a Badger Ord Charging Handle. It gives you a little more real estate to grab if your hands are wet or slippery.

Don't really have an opinion on the bench you mentioned, I am not familar with it. I got a really expensive set up when I first got into boltgun shooting and have been using it for years. Truthfully though, sandbags work just as well for sighting-in and zeroing. No need to go all out.

Definitely get the covers to put over those rails. Those babies are sharp and like to take home some flesh with them if they get a chance.

Looking forward to pics and your range report. Also, if you could give the guys an idea of how Del Ton was to deal with and how satisified you are with your final product that would help answer some questions...

JD

Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
{Snip}
Looking forward to pics and your range report. Also, if you could give the guys an idea of how Del Ton was to deal with and how satisified you are with your final product that would help answer some questions...

JD
Dealing with Del-Ton was OK. No complaint on price, my "kit" came in a hair under $700.00 with shipping.

I did ask one question about a change and got a fairly quick response --- I asked about changing to a lightweight barrel a month or so after I ordered. They responded that they could do that and because they had them in stock I'd get my rifle sooner; the only catch was the flip up gas block/sight, I'd have to change to something else if I wanted the lightweight barrel. I decided I wanted the flip up so I stayed with the original order.

My next communication was a question a week or so ago about the status of the delivery to which a week later I received a shipping notice. I ordered November 13 so that's about 12-14 weeks, which I guess is kind of normal these days. :-)

I'll update this once I get the "gadget" in hand and have a chance to look it over.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #6

Default My EBR is finished!

My AR-15 "kit" arrived this afternoon (Tuesday). After unpacking and inspecting I took some photos of the parts then started assembly. (Before and after photos to be posted after I have a chance to select and adjust them.)

The kit parts appear of good quality. There was nothing "dinged" or damaged and no rough edges, scratches, etc.

I used the instruction sheet from AR15.com along with two videos from YouTube:

1. AR15.COM :: Guides

Using these as guides I assemble everything is under an hour. The assembled rifle appears to operate fine, a little "sticky" yet. There is almost no play between the lower and the upper, everything fits tight.

I mounted an inexpensive 3-9X Simmons scope as my eyes need all the help they can get. I'm going to have to get a riser for the scope, the flip-up rear BUIS interferes with the scope; I moved the BUIS to a forward rail position for storage

It still obviously needs to be cleaned and oiled yet and then off to the range hopefully this weekend.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #7

For the record: Firearmstalk.com DOES NOT condone forum raids on other websites.

Thanks,

JD

Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

woohoo another brethren!
man cant wait for those pics!

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #9

Quote:
For the record: Firearmstalk.com DOES NOT condone forum raids on other websites.

Thanks,

JD
Mea culpa.

I didn't think referencing a freely available assembly guide constituted a raid. Live and learn.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
Mea culpa.

I didn't think referencing a freely available assembly guide constituted a raid. Live and learn.
It's not technically - we just like to throw that out there in case someone where to be surfing along and see a post of theirs' from another forum put up here. No harm, no foul. Merely a CYA issue.

JD

Newest Threads