Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My DPMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That sounds like a good deal. I bought mine from a local cop that had run about 100 rounds through it. I got the rifle, mags, 400 rounds of Federal ammo, and a Bushnell scope with Rock River Arms mount for $700. He had mounted the scope backwards and thought that it was defective. He had the scope hanging out about 3 inches behind the receiver, and couldnt get his head down to see through it, and when he did, he couldnt see anything. Funny how 5 minutes and an allen wrench changed all that.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1658 Times on 903 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I kept mine simple. It has never malfunctioned.

ar15.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #13

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Bill tell me about the oracle ? I found a new one for sale local and was interested because it comes with 4 mags and 400 rds of federal brass ammo for $700 that all I know I havent seen it yet . I was thinking about buying to keep the ammo and unloading the rest of it ?
Havoc, that is a smokin' deal! I would not hesatate to jump on it! The Oracle is one of DPMS's most popular models. They function well and have most all of the features desired in an AR-15 rifle. Here are some specs on it.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/556-ORACLE_ep_135-1.html

The barrel is 4140 Chrome Moly with a 1 in 9" twist, which is ideal for most .223 / 5.56 MM ammunition. I was talking to one of the guys at Cabela's the other day, and he told me they sell more DPMS Oracle models than any other AR-15. They've yet to get one back for any reason or problem. Considering the amount of firearms they sell, that is saying something. I'm considering one of their Varmint heavy barrel models as my next AR. From what I see and hear, the most bashing of these rifles comes from people who don't own them. The ones who do seem to be very satisfied with them.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Man that sounds like a deal 4 mags and 400 rds for 700 I paid almost seven for mine striped of course , yea you could make some $ on that deal as far as dependability I have has 0 FTF or FTE it it has a dust guard and forward assist . I think that's a heck of a deal

Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #15

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Bill tell me about the oracle ? I found a new one for sale local and was interested because it comes with 4 mags and 400 rds of federal brass ammo for $700 that all I know I havent seen it yet . I was thinking about buying to keep the ammo and unloading the rest of it ?
Nice deal, you could break even selling all but the ammo. Early this year I got a like new G27 with night sights, three mags, holster and 300 rounds for $500 cash. Kinda the same reasoning as you but now all the ammo's shot up and I'm keeping the Glock!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

Hmmm , for some reason I thought I had read they took a commercial buffer tube any one know what it really takes ?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Tenderribbs, what does that bad boy weigh?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #18

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Hmmm , for some reason I thought I had read they took a commercial buffer tube any one know what it really takes ?
New Oracle, yeah I would expect commercial diameter.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

my wife's dpms came with a commercial tube its got a vltor milspec now. receivers with commercial tubes can swap tubes for a milspec with no difficulties. the thread size is the same. the only difference is the size of the tube itself

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #20

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
The DPMS Oracle, as well as their other models all take a Commercial buffer tube. Most any stock option worth having comes in both Commercial and Mil-Spec buffer tube sizes. You can check to make absolutely sure before ordering any stock. Commercial tubes are sized 1.170" in diameter, while the Mil-Spec buffer tubes are smaller at 1.140" in diameter.

Another way to check is the Commercial buffer tubes have the back surface cut at an angle, while the Mil-Spec buffer tubes are cut at a square 90 degree angle to the tube itself. When I replaced my rear stocks my Colts took Mil-Spec, while most everything else took Commercial sized rear stock sets.