My build update - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My build update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
And....

What brand BCG is that? Is the chrome more durable, easier to keep clean?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
What brand BCG is that? Is the chrome more durable, easier to keep clean?
DPMS and absolutely. SO much easier to clean than the normal blued version. Operation is much smoother as well. I would go with the Titanium Nitride coated but I think the chrome, although not as tough, matches better with the entire setup.

If you have the money though, the Titanium Nitride can withstand a hammer and chisel.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A little heads up on the Magpul PTS version, they are not the same. They are licensed through Magpul but not made in a Magpul factory. They are basically Chinese knock-offs but w/ the thumbs up from Magpul. Anyway they just started shipping the Gen2 MBUS sights.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Of course, there is also the option of an ultrasonic cleaning tank. At the point you have the ability to come home and through the whole BCG into a tank, whether it's chrome plated or not is not really relevant.

JD

Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #15

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

cddbrowns, since you haven't bought it yet I feel compelled to say that the DPMS BCG is far and away the worst part in your build. If you're going to pay extra to upgrade the BCG that money is much better spent on BCM, Daniel Defense or LMT. The chrome plating is just bling that covers the internal flaws of that bolt group.

Anyway don't take my word for it, a little research will be enlightening. Not trying to wreck your build, just make it a better rifle.

The old stock car builder's guide applies here, "Chrome don't get you home."

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A little heads up on the Magpul PTS version, they are not the same. They are licensed through Magpul but not made in a Magpul factory. They are basically Chinese knock-offs but w/ the thumbs up from Magpul. Anyway they just started shipping the Gen2 MBUS sights.
I am going with the Gen 2, those were just the pics I could find in a hurry as I was looking at the super secret forum for us paying members and drinking enough water so as not to have a huge hang over in the morning.....LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
cddbrowns, since you haven't bought it yet I feel compelled to say that the DPMS BCG is far and away the worst part in your build. If you're going to pay extra to upgrade the BCG that money is much better spent on BCM, Daniel Defense or LMT. The chrome plating is just bling that covers the internal flaws of that bolt group.

Anyway don't take my word for it, a little research will be enlightening. Not trying to wreck your build, just make it a better rifle.

Really? DPMS has been great for a buddy of mine, I really liked the "bling" it brought to the rifle with it being chrome and all, but I definitely want to keep this thing tip top. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Of course, there is also the option of an ultrasonic cleaning tank. At the point you have the ability to come home and through the whole BCG into a tank, whether it's chrome plated or not is not really relevant.

JD
So is the consensus here that a chrome BCG is no better than a quality blued one? Are there advantages/disadvantages to chrome? Sorry CD, don't mean to hijack your thread.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

Ill second that. For the money Id go w/ one of the 3 BCGs Quentin mentioned.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

So is the consensus here that a chrome BCG is no better than a quality blued one? Are there advantages/disadvantages to chrome? Sorry CD, don't mean to hijack your thread.
Its all good, I am learning with this too! LOL! Bravo!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #20

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Here are some mixed reviews of that BCG ...

DPMS Bolt Carrier Assembly Commercial AR-15 223 Remington Chrome - MidwayUSA

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.