My AR build (Pic heavy!) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

My AR build (Pic heavy!)


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

It's not the right side it's the correct side . I'm a lefty as well. I shoot orthodox though.
You guys need some wiring redone in your heads thats one good thing bout being ambidexterous...i dont have them issues
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
You guys need some wiring redone in your heads thats one good thing bout being ambidexterous...i dont have them issues
I believe William Schatner (spelling) said it best, "As am I."
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

So how much did that build run you?
__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jamesb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 405
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

To the guy who asked if it was a 6.8 SPC....nope. 5.56.

As is the build ran around $1,800. I'd rather buy once then buy lower quality and have to buy again.

Video of first time shooting it:

http://youtu.be/WnEHICr2kgE
__________________
What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 12-04-2011 at 11:05 PM.
jamesb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jamesb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 405
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Just wanted to update a bit since I was able to put rounds down range. So far i'm really enjoying this gun. Using Federal bulk .223 55gr ammo I was consistantly hitting a 3" circle at 100 yards. Not pinpoint accurate, but plenty for a battle rifle in my opinion. My buddy put one round through a quarter at 100 yards as well. We were also shooting shotgun shells and such which was pretty cool.

It has around 450 rounds through it without issue. I've been using Brian Eno's Slide Glide Lite to lube bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Others say not to use grease, but it has performed flawlessly for me.

Since my first range trip which was just a 75' indoor range to aquire a zero with the red dot I came into a few more items for the rifle.

It now wears a Magpul BAD lever, Troy TRX cooling hole low pro sling mount, Vickers Padded sling, and a new optic.

I was planning on going with the Aimpoint T-1, but stumbled into a great deal on an older used ACOG TA01 with a LaRue LT-100 mount. I like the 4x magnificaton, no batteries is a plus and the ruggedness of it is wonderful. We ran the ACOG at the 100 yard range with pretty good results as I mentioned. I plan to get some new pics tonight.

I ordered some XM193 to run through it and see how it works. I'll battle zero the sights and re-zero the ACOG with this ammo at 100 yards.
__________________
What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course
jamesb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
Just wanted to update a bit since I was able to put rounds down range. So far i'm really enjoying this gun. Using Federal bulk .223 55gr ammo I was consistantly hitting a 3" circle at 100 yards. Not pinpoint accurate, but plenty for a battle rifle in my opinion. My buddy put one round through a quarter at 100 yards as well. We were also shooting shotgun shells and such which was pretty cool.

It has around 450 rounds through it without issue. I've been using Brian Eno's Slide Glide Lite to lube bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Others say not to use grease, but it has performed flawlessly for me.

Since my first range trip which was just a 75' indoor range to aquire a zero with the red dot I came into a few more items for the rifle.

It now wears a Magpul BAD lever, Troy TRX cooling hole low pro sling mount, Vickers Padded sling, and a new optic.

I was planning on going with the Aimpoint T-1, but stumbled into a great deal on an older used ACOG TA01 with a LaRue LT-100 mount. I like the 4x magnificaton, no batteries is a plus and the ruggedness of it is wonderful. We ran the ACOG at the 100 yard range with pretty good results as I mentioned. I plan to get some new pics tonight.

I ordered some XM193 to run through it and see how it works. I'll battle zero the sights and re-zero the ACOG with this ammo at 100 yards.
Quality gear for sure.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jamesb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 405
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Bit of an update. I ended up getting a good deal on an ACOG so went that route. I absolutely love it! I also added a Vickers Padded Sling, Magpul Bad Lever, and Troy Cooling Hole TRX sling mount. I love this friggin' thing!

Only thing left is the ambi selector. I can't recall who makes it. It is a specific one I was looking for.

Before:

My AR build (Pic heavy!) - AR-15 Discussion

After:

My AR build (Pic heavy!) - AR-15 Discussion

My AR build (Pic heavy!) - AR-15 Discussion

My AR build (Pic heavy!) - AR-15 Discussion
__________________
What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course
jamesb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleshooter474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 245
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Lots of really nice items on that build, great pictures.
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Battle Arms Developement

My AR build (Pic heavy!) - AR-15 Discussion
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jamesb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 405
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Thank you! I knew someone here told me about it. I couldn't recall what it was.
__________________
What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course
jamesb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Wat is the best heavy laod 357 mag num rugernut Revolver Handguns 3 11-29-2011 06:28 PM
New Blade, have to share...Pic heavy Wambli Other Weapons 10 06-04-2011 01:10 PM
Just for fun- heavy target 30/06 rifle ba_50 General Rifle Discussion 1 04-22-2011 07:48 PM
Heavy Loads MisterT Blackpowder & Musket 0 08-15-2007 04:00 PM



Newest Threads