Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My AR Build...the beginning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My AR Build is a little different,
Step 1 Call Distributor & order lower complete & upper complete w/ bolt carrier
Step 2 Have Citizen assemble two halves at no charge
Step 3 Test Fire AR

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #22

Finally got some of the lower assembled. Pretty simple. Just have to wait for the pistol grip and stock to finish. Should be here this week.

Edit: To clarify, I installed (part of) the White Oak LPK, Magpul Enhance trigger guard, and RRA 2 stage trigger. I was surprised how easy everything went together. I can see how people launch the pivot pin detent, but it's really not hard at all. This was with basic tools. I DID purchase a punch set, because I have rounded or mushroomed most of my other punches working on my Jeep and around teh house. Plus, I don't need much of a reason to buy more tools.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Last edited by SeanCucf; 12-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

Sean,

I might have missed something but isn't your EMOD coming as a kit with the Extension (Buffer) Tube, Spring and Buffer? I see you got your trigger in. If you have never installed a collapsible stock before there is not much to it but the engagement on the Buffer Retainer is critical. I would suggest you get with me Dillinger or one of the guys that can give you some simple instruction here on the forum. Had a guy almost trash his receiver by not getting the proper engagement and adjustment during installation.
Congrats! Looks like you are progressing right along!~

Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Sean,

I might have missed something but isn't your EMOD coming as a kit with the Extension (Buffer) Tube, Spring and Buffer? I see you got your trigger in. If you have never installed a collapsible stock before there is not much to it but the engagement on the Buffer Retainer is critical. I would suggest you get with me Dillinger or one of the guys that can give you some simple instruction here on the forum. Had a guy almost trash his receiver by not getting the proper engagement and adjustment during installation.
Congrats! Looks like you are progressing right along!~
Yes, I ordered the stock and extension tube. So when they arrive, along with the grip, the lower will be done. Thanks for the offer. I'll check with ya'll before I destroy it.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #25

I can pick up a new 553 in FDE for $470. If you could pick up an EOtech 553.a65TAN for $470 would you?

I haven't put a ton of thought into optics, but with the rebates from L3 going on, coupled with a sale at a local shop, it may be a good deal.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I can pick up a new 553 in FDE for $470. If you could pick up an EOtech 553.a65TAN for $470 would you?

I haven't put a ton of thought into optics, but with the rebates from L3 going on, coupled with a sale at a local shop, it may be a good deal.
SmartGunner.com is having a sale on their Aimpoints. You can pick up a T1 micro for under $500. Or try Red Dot Sights - Primary Arms - For Optics Accessories & More | Weapons Optics | Firearm Supplies . Marshall has some good deals on EoTech XPS w/ free magnifier and $50 rebate. He's a really good guy. He also has a line of optics, Primary Arms, that work great.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #27

Thanks.

I went this morning and looked at them side-by-side, mounted, with and without magnifiers, and prefer the eotech retical. I have read the pros and cons of each, but the eotech is more comfortable(if that makes sense) to me.

I really like the 553, but I was intrigued by the 557 too. The smaller xps line is nice too. Now I just have to decide. The guy said he'd give me the 20% past Christmas, but before the new year even though the sale ends he 23rd.

More decisions......

Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I really like the EoTech and have the XPS on one of my rifles. I prefer the micros because they are lighter, smaller and provide better line of sight over/around your weapon.

Do you shoot both eyes open?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I really like the EoTech and have the XPS on one of my rifles. I prefer the micros because they are lighter, smaller and provide better line of sight over/around your weapon.

Do you shoot both eyes open?
I do shoot both eyes open, which is more comfortable with the eotechs, for me. I held the 553 and the xps, not noticing a measureable difference. In all reality it's only going to get carried between my truck/house/and range, so the weight difference is not a factor. If I were humping it around a desert, it would be more relevant. I like the 7mm riser built into the 553 also.

I'm going to catch he'll for this, but I like the FDE finish on the 553 also, since that's where this build is headed. I know I could duracoat the shroud myself, but I've seen my painting work and wouldn't wish it on my liberal neighbor.

I do have to factor in whether I'm going to ever want a magnifier, cause it will be significantly less bulky with the XPS. But, if I want to reach out that far, I could just get a whole new rifle

Last edited by SeanCucf; 12-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #30

Came home to a box on my front step! Woohoo

Funny enough, the hard part was getting the damn grip screw in....lol.

So far, so good.