My AR Build...the beginning. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My AR Build...the beginning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3460 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

Sean,

If you want a good quality two stage trigger at a reasonable price for the quality I would recommend you look into the Rock River Arms two stage. They are a fine unit. Simple drop in with no problem.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Sean,

If you want a good quality two stage trigger at a reasonable price for the quality I would recommend you look into the Rock River Arms two stage. They are a fine unit. Simple drop in with no problem.
Thanks. That's the only 2 stage I've tried, and I like it a lot.

I think I'm going with that and a White Oak LPK from ADCO. I can get the whole setup with a magpul trigger guard for $160.....$20 less than standard 2 stage kit from RRA directly.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #13

Now that this is becoming a reality (in the past few days) I think I'm leaning towards a completed upper. More specifically this one.

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Troy Standard TRX 11" Handguard

Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats a nice upper your lookin at. im gonna get a bcm reece 16 with the 12in daniel defense free float handguard.
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #15

The LPK/trigger guard and RRA 2stage arrive from ADCO last week. I haven't had any time to put it together yet. But, here I sit shopping for stocks. I can't help but notice that retailers want like $10-20 MORE to sell the stock with the buffer tube/springs etc. in "kits". I can get the stock separately from the hardware and save $$.

Am I missing something? Specifically I'm looking at the VLTOR Carbine EMOD and separate hardware from BCM for $186 to my door, or the "Combo kit" for $185 BEFORE shipping???

1) What am I missing?

2) I am assuming a standard buffer will do fine, correct?

The more I shop, I'm now leaning towards building the upper completely, instead of buying one complete.....

Oh, decisions, decisions...

Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There are two sizes of buffers and different size springs depending on the configuration of the stock.

Buffers themselves have weights inside them that people mess with if they want to fire lower pressure rounds ( like subsonic ) and have the weapon cycle. That is why you see people talk about running a 16" barrel with a 9mm buffer in it.

If you double check the size of the buffer and spring you need ( commercial versus mil-spec ) and order the right one, 9/10 you should be okay.

If the weapon doesn't cycle well, you might need to play with it ( the weight / spring selection ) but I think what you are seeing is places just shipping a 'group set' for a little more money because people don't want to do a ton of individual part shopping and shipping.

JD

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #17

Just ordered VLTOR EMOD stock/BCM hardware along with Magpul Front and rear BU"I"S, and Magpul grip, all in flat dark earth. I hope I like the color. Mostly been a fan of black, but I kept leaning toward FDE, so I just went for it.

Next up, get it all together, then decide whether to build or buy the upper.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #18

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I chose to stay all black with my AR's but I will say some of the FDE builds sure look pretty sweet.

Congratulations on your new found affliction

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 12-11-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I chose to say all black with my AR's but I will say some of the FDE builds sure look pretty sweet.

Congratulations on your new found affliction
I like the different colors myself, and I'm partial to FDE.

And, FWIW, it is an affliction. I'm working on number four now.

Last edited by russ; 12-11-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #20

Nice. I like FDE more every time I see it.

On a side note; I'm already impressed with BCM. I placed the order this afternoon and already got a shipping confirmation!