My AR Build...the beginning.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

My AR Build...the beginning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My AR Build...the beginning.

I've been wanting to start an AR build for quite some time now. That time presented itself today. I stopped by a local store to see about gettng a barrel for my 12ga 11-87, but while I was there I did the customary stroll along the case and came upon a stripped CMMG lower for $120...sold. I know you can find them a little "cheaper" online, but after shipping and transfer fee this one was just a wash(especially with what local stores charge to transfer).

My plan is a flatop upper. I'd like a nice 2stage trigger if I can find a resonably priced one. Then some optics. Keep it relatively simple. (riiiight)

Typical stripped lower...(crap iPhone pic)
My AR Build...the beginning. - AR-15 Discussion

I'll build it as funds become available....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Just completed my own...best of luck. The knowledge gained and satisfaction felt in building your own is priceless.

Are you building or buying the upper? Give some details on your planned dream gun, lots of folks will be interested.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you need a stripped upper, let me know.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much you want for that stripped upper Spitty? That just may be the beginning of another AR in a bigger caliber than .223 for me. If I have it sitting, then I want to build. Motivation.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the club! We have a lot of good members here who have done the same thing & we will be following your posts with much eagerness to see the finished product.

JD

Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #6

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

This thread sure caught my eye. Any question that comes up can be be easily and quickly answered by the crew here.

I'm most interested to hear about your plans for that upper. Seems like many people in the same boat have bought a complete upper and just built the lower from parts. But I'm sure the experience of building the upper from parts would be invaluable!

Best of luck!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
This thread sure caught my eye. Any question that comes up can be be easily and quickly answered by the crew here.

I'm most interested to hear about your plans for that upper. Seems like many people in the same boat have bought a complete upper and just built the lower from parts. But I'm sure the experience of building the upper from parts would be invaluable!

Best of luck!
After doing this a couple times (build lower, buy upper), I'm ready to tackle building the whole darned thing on my next project. However, I think the AR10 bug will bite first so the complete AR15 build may have to wait a little while.

Keep us in the loop Sean, there are plenty of us here that have built lots of different configurations of AR's, so someone here can answer just about any question you could think of.

I'm guessing the two-stage trigger means you're thinking of a heavy barrel target/varmint gun, correct?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sir good luck with your build. i started my build back in sept. needless to say im still building lol. cant wait till tax return comes in!!!
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #9

Thanks guys. As far as the trigger, I just like the feel of a 2 stage. I plan on your typical flat-top 16in quad rail. That choice is based on comparing trigger feel on rifles at local stores, so if there are nice standard triggers, I'm all ears. Though I'd like a midlength gas system, they are kind of pricey. Ideally I'd like to build it completely, upper and lower, but we'll see what happens. Being my first one, I could get anxious to see it done. I've never really been a fan of fancy color furniture, but the more I see some of the dark earth stuff, the more it grows on me.

Judging by the fact that anything I buy, I can't leave alone (cars, boats, jet skis, Jeep, etc.) The AR platform is right up my alley. It gonna be fun sneaking all these UPS boxes by my wife.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #10

Put my lower together Friday and it turned out well; I used an Ardel Engineering lower (Less Bucks), DPMS Parts Kit, MAGPUL lower trigger guard, MAID Pistol grip and CTR stock mounted on a UTG tube, buffer and buffer spring. Then I found a video on YouTube describing how to do my own trigger job by bending the hammer spring and filing the hammer where it needs to be done. I have to say it did not take as much time as I first thought it would and it was just plain fun.

Since I found myself with extra time I started to color fill the markings which is truning out kind of cool so far.

Next will be the upper and I decided to go with an 18 inch 6.8 SPC; thinking terminal ballistics will be better out of the 18 or 20 barrel. This turned out not so good as it appears to be difficult to get barrels longer than 16 inches because that is what all the fanboys want these days. Honestly I want something lightweight I may be able to lug around through the tree lines flushing out deer so I am trying to get it as close to eight pounds as I can by the time it is all done.

I found a person who has some knowledge of how to put the upper together and he is a real gunsmith who has put together hundreds before. Well anyway he informs me of a new company named "Black Rain" who offers a polygon barrel with three groves (so to speak because I am not sure what they call rifling lines with a polygon barrel) in 18 and twenty inches. At one time I was huge into HK's so I actually like polygon bores. The brand of upper receiver is up for grabs right now as is the gas system but we will see what comes of all this by the first week of January. I have had and prefer the JP free float tube so I suspect that will be in the package as well. It goes on and on and building or having one built is more fun than just buying one premade off the shelf.