My AR - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
PSA, S&W MP, Spike's, Colt. Just to name a few. I'd avoid Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms.
I'M CALLING BS!!! PROVE ME WRONG----PLEASE

Tell me where you think that DPMS is below quality of S&W, Spike, PSA, CMMG, and many others.
They use 4140 barrel steel on most of their Rifles? What's inferior with this?
Show me where barrel is inferior by not being contoured to M4 standards----a bayonet is not needed. They DO HAVE some Models in M4 styles.
Not chromed-lined? We're NOT shooting "FULL AUTO", which is where this came about, and just so happened to be easier to clean---which is just a bonus---but not needed.
Commercial tube instead of Mil-Tube---show me where this is inferior.
Don't like the "Roll Mark"---give me an F--N break, a roll mark doesn't prove reliability/quality.
(Not) 158 Carpenter Steel Bolt---Think again.
Doesn't have a FA---My Oracle does
Doesn't have a Dust Cover----My Oracle does
Not MPI and Whatever that other one is----DPMS does batch testing, and appears to hold up just as well as Individual Testing of parts from all indications I've been reading and learning about.
NoTitanium Firing Pin---I've heard of more failures with the TFP, over the plain firing pin.
Doesn't have MOE furniture available----think again.
DPSM has 7075 T6 forged Upper/Lower just like 99.9% of other AR15's.
DPMS parts are used in many custom builds---what's wrong with parts if they're being used in custom builds?
DPMS Lowers are manufactured by LAR Manufacturing which also makes CMT, CMMG, Double Star, Spikes Tacticle(new models) and Noveske(new models)---so you're saying that these Lowers are CRAP also? I got this information from (AR-15.Com, under AR Lower Receiver FAQ) and was edited to only show DPMS Receiver Manufacturer. They have an extensive picture/writeup (by Xenophobe) on that Website.
DPMS has TypeIII Hard Anodized--Teflon Coating on their receivers.
My Oracle has a 1 in 8 twist---how is this bad? Shoots everything I've fed it.
Only reason for 1 in 7 twist is for Military to shoot "Tracer Ammo".
DPMS has a dedicated "Rifle Team" that shoots against other Rifle groups just to prove they're worth the cost, and just as good as your AR's Manufacturer. I'm sure they've modified their rifles also, just like others.
DPMS has a "Modified Ramp" for different ammo. Nothing has proven this to be a bad thing.
DPMS DOES have 4150 barrels---as optional purchase
DPMS DOES have Chrome-Lined Barrels/Extensions----as optional purchase
DPMS DOES have Sights for their Rifles----on selected models and as optional purchase
DPMS DOES SELL PARTS to other AR Manufactures to be used in their AR's.
DPMS DOES DO proper "Staking" of all components that other Quality Manufacturers do.
DPMS does a 10-shot run on each rifle before leaving Factory.
So YOU TELL ME where a DPMS is INFERIOR.
ALL AR Manufacturers have some QC problems, but I've found DPMS to be a fine AR without the higher cost(depending on model), with good CS.
DPMS is also 1 of only a few AR builders to make more than just the AR15.
ALSO. If you're gonna be running the rifle hard(for whatever reason) you're gonna want/need different parts/upgrades anyway----no matter the AR Manufacturer or it's initial cost. Even the Military Armorer does upgrades to the Colt before giving out to the Guys in the Field. Does this mean the Colt is a POS because they cost around $1K and someone still has to look at/fix/repair/test it, before it's even used---don't think so?
If you want to pay over $1000 for an AR15, DPMS has those models, but if you want to pay less than $750, DPMS also has those models too---but you don't get all the options, unless you want them---then price goes up.
Now, tell me where DPMS is INFERIOR. I'm always open to learn.
Del
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG

What about Del-Ton? I've heard mixed feelings about them. All I know about them is that they are inexpensive.
I've had an Olympic arms for 22 yrs. it's been flawless.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #23

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post

Tell me where you think that DPMS is below quality of S&W, Spike, PSA, CMMG, and many others.
Show me where barrel is inferior by not being contoured to M4 standards----a bayonet is not needed. They DO HAVE some Models in M4 styles.
Not chromed-lined? We're NOT shooting "FULL AUTO", which is where this came about, and just so happened to be easier to clean---which is just a bonus---but not needed.
Don't like the "Roll Mark"---give me an F--N break, a roll mark doesn't prove reliability/quality.
Not MPI and Whatever that other one is----DPMS does batch testing, and appears to hold up just as well as Individual Testing of parts from all indications I've been reading and learning about.
NoTitanium Firing Pin---I've heard of more failures with the TFP, over the plain firing pin.
DPMS parts are used in many custom builds---what's wrong with parts if they're being used in custom builds?
DPMS Lowers are manufactured by LAR Manufacturing which also makes CMT, CMMG, Double Star, Spikes Tacticle(new models) and Noveske(new models)---so you're saying that these Lowers are CRAP also? I got this information from (AR-15.Com, under AR Lower Receiver FAQ) and was edited to only show DPMS Receiver Manufacturer. They have an extensive picture/writeup (by Xenophobe) on that Website.
DPMS has a dedicated "Rifle Team" that shoots against other Rifle groups just to prove they're worth the cost, and just as good as your AR's Manufacturer. I'm sure they've modified their rifles also, just like others.
DPMS has a "Modified Ramp" for different ammo. Nothing has proven this to be a bad thing.
DPMS DOES have Sights for their Rifles----on selected models and as optional purchase
DPMS DOES DO proper "Staking" of all components that other Quality Manufacturers do.
ALL AR Manufacturers have some QC problems, but I've found DPMS to be a fine AR without the higher cost(depending on model), with good CS.
ALSO. If you're gonna be running the rifle hard(for whatever reason) you're gonna want/need different parts/upgrades anyway----no matter the AR Manufacturer or it's initial cost. Even the Military Armorer does upgrades to the Colt before giving out to the Guys in the Field. Does this mean the Colt is a POS because they cost around $1K and someone still has to look at/fix/repair/test it, before it's even used---don't think so?
If you want to pay over $1000 for an AR15, DPMS has those models, but if you want to pay less than $750, DPMS also has those models too---but you don't get all the options, unless you want them---then price goes up.
Del
I hope the reply to this is as informative.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG

I hope the reply to this is as informative.
Case and point lol

Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Default Please not another one

Just could not resist:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-ar-del-ton-ar-4765/

MPI = magnetic particle inspected

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=magnetic%20particle%20inspection& source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url=http%3A% 2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMagnetic_particle_i nspection&ei=Y8yeUJqKBYeMyAGgv4C4Dw&usg=AFQjCNHEdB HjGPPR2yFkRdHIOwPx2Qvggw

Oh yes; you can get a chrome lined DPMS, mine is.

The gas key on my Bravo Company BCG is staked better than the gas key on my DPMS, I can see this in a side by side comparison.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 11-11-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #26

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman

Del
Tell me, where did I say they were inferior? I said I would stay away from those brands. The first AR I owned was a DPMS. It was a piece of ****. The gas block was not properly lined up with the gas port on the barrel and thats how it came from the factory. Failure to cycle properly, if at all. Before I even owned an AR, I shot my buddies Bushy. Again, a piece of ****. Cycling issues as well as terrible finish on the rifle. I admit, I've never shot an Oly. I have never heard anything good about them to be honest so I included them in my statement. Your DPMS works for you? Congratulations. Mine didn't. So now what? Am I supposed to thank you for responding to my post with a metric **** ton of points that I never even brought up? Again, congratulations. Of the brands I mentioned that I like, I have personal experience with all of them and I've never had a problem. The ones I've mentioned I would stay away from, I have had not so good experiences with (except Oly). Did my response adequately clear up any confusion?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #27

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ah gawd here we go again.........

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:

Del
Please elaborate on the "required" upgrades and fixes for a NEW Colt to go into military service...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #29

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Tell me, where did I say they were inferior? I said I would stay away from those brands. The first AR I owned was a DPMS. It was a piece of ****. The gas block was not properly lined up with the gas port on the barrel and thats how it came from the factory. Failure to cycle properly, if at all. Before I even owned an AR, I shot my buddies Bushy. Again, a piece of ****. Cycling issues as well as terrible finish on the rifle. I admit, I've never shot an Oly. I have never heard anything good about them to be honest so I included them in my statement. Your DPMS works for you? Congratulations. Mine didn't. So now what? Am I supposed to thank you for responding to my post with a metric **** ton of points that I never even brought up? Again, congratulations. Of the brands I mentioned that I like, I have personal experience with all of them and I've never had a problem. The ones I've mentioned I would stay away from, I have had not so good experiences with (except Oly). Did my response adequately clear up any confusion?
NO. This does not adequately clear up any confusion.
We have many new members on this forum everyday, asking about many different firearms(not just AR's), and to put out a statement of "I would stay away from So and So", just asks the question of why, when maybe that's the Manufacturer they're looking at.
If rifle's anodized finish wasn't done correctly---how's this the rifle's fault? Sounds like Manufacturing process to me, and rifle just looked dingey, and not up to a good, clean standard--be it Civilian or Military.
A cycling issue could be a dangerous issue--no matter the gun's name, because, it could cost you your life, and needs looked into immediately. With just a simple change of ammo, spent casing getting hung up on Ejector or more severe, a broken component. Just because it didn't cycle properly isn't an answer due to so many reasons of WHY.
If gun is under warranty, let the Company know, and send it back. Let them deal with it and fix properly. Comes back repaired, shoots fine, looks fine, gives you entertainment and peace of mind---how would this now be a piece of SH*T?
How was your Buddy's Bushy a POS? Did he know how to work and repair it? Or did he just shoot it, and you being more experienced with AR's know what problem was, and just say it's a POS, but still not repair it? If repaired, would that of made it a better rifle, and worth the purchase of another Bushy, knowing that all their rifle's weren't built with this problem?
A name on the side of a firearm shouldn't be the sole reason for a purchase or to call it a POS, if all Gun's are built/look the same way. It's other differences that determine values, or "Not up to Standards", and it's up to Consumer to judge those differences to determine if that difference is worth the value---To HIM, not you.
Not trying to bust your balls, but just blanket statements, raises a "Red Flag" of WHY. I've been around too many different Guns all my life to know that just because there's a small/large problem with "that gun", doesn't mean that those guns from that Manufacturer are bad.
Del
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #30

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:

Del

Here's the bottom line on DPMS - if your budget is $600-700 you can do much better going with S&W or PSA; if your budget is $800+ well then that opens up a whole universe of better ARs than DPMS.

Now if you currently own a DPMS and it works for you, great. But that doesn't mean it's the wisest choice for a new purchase. Don't get mad, there's a lot of competition out there and that's a good thing.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This