My 600.00 AR15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My 600.00 AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My 600.00 AR15

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-TNW/images/TNW-SGP-QCB-XL.jpg

Just bought this baby yesterday, not the exact one, just a close representation, pictures to follow when I get it. Due to it's "restricted" classification in Canada, I'll have to wait a week or so while the paperwork is processed. It was at the store I've ordered my .308 from and where I went to buy 1200 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo last night. The guy I deal with said it just came in and that I may be interested in it. Oh how he knows me well. I immediately had to have it. It already has the ambidextrous mag release (yes I'm a lefty shooter) and the removable carry handle as well as an extra mag. Comes fitted with a flash suppressor and a bayonet attachment for a bipod/bayonet/whatever else you can attach there.

I had to send the wife to the retail section of the store while I told the guy to start processing it for me. She doesn't particularly like guns nor does she understand why I feel the need to prepare myself for the zombie apocalypse or the breakdown of social order.

So in the past week I've bought a russian SKS and now an AR-15. Considering the AR-15 was less than a glock I was looking at buying I think I made the right decision with the AR since the glock is nice but an AR is much nicer.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an optic for the AR? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something that will let me see a target up to 500 yards away. In the military our C7's only had a fixed 3x scope and they sucked as they had no possible adjustments.

edit: I did ask about building one but was told the total cost after building it would be in the 1100-1200 range and I CANNOT get parts from the US. Anything over 100.00 requires an export permit which costs 450.00 dollars. So I was advised to buy this one and then buy parts as I go (from Canadian suppliers) and make a "Frankenstein" AR15.

Last edited by Savage308; 02-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Very glad you found an AR for much less than it looked like you'd have to pay. Got any specs on it? I know you're gonna have fun with the new project Savage...

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #3

Thats one long week when your waiting for an AR. Have fun when it arrives

Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #4

I just found out today it will be ready to pick up on tuesday or wednesday but I'll be unable to get there until the weekend to pick it up as the store is too far from my work to make it before they close. Considered taking the day off work but I need the hours right now.

I also found out today that my .308 Savage BAS 10 just arrived. Now I'm waiting on my Harris swivel 6-9" notched legs bipod and 4-16x50 Vortex Viper PST optic to come in and she'll be a complete unit.

So next weekend I'll go get my AR and the weekend after that hopefully my optic will be ready and I'll be able to go zero my .308.

The AR-15 is a Norinco M4 with 1:9 twist 14.5" barrel chrome lined, with quad rail hand guards, and an extra mag. Unfortunately they are the 30 round mags restricted to only allow 5 rounds put in. I'll have to buy the 30 round restricted to 10 which is the max allowable here. Over 10 and we're breaking the law. In the case of an apocalypse or social breakdown, I'll hammer out the pins and increase my capacity to 30 rounds. I'd do it now if it didn't mean me losing my license and all my firearms if I were to be caught. But in an apocalypse I think the law will be less concerned with my magazine capacity and more with my ability to fend off hungry undead.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Well tonight I go pick up my AR 15. I can hardly wait to be done work and take the 2 hour or so drive to the store from my work. It'll be worth every minute once I get there and pick it up. While there I'm going to also admire and check out my Savage BAS 10 that arrived last weekend. I'm waiting for my scope and bi-pod to come in until I pick that up. They're going to mount the optic (when it arrives) and complete the bore sighting. All I'll have to do it take her to the range and zero the scope.

Does anyone else name their guns? I'm trying to come up with a name for each one of mine.

My pistol is named "Serenity" because she brings me inner peace when I fire it clip after clip until all my stress just melts away.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My .45 is named Denise, and my AR is just called "The Squirrel Slayer".

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Glad you were able to get one Savage308. Sounds like you and the shop have a very good relationship, you keep walking in with money and leaving with some goodies.

Have fun with them.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Savage308, hope you have your new AR by now and like it!

As far as naming my ARs, my ArmaLite build is "PMJ" or "Plain Mary Jane" and Daniel Defense/S&W build is "Dan Wesson".