Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   My 1st build finished lower (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-1st-build-finished-lower-102693/)

capnklump 01-13-2014 01:28 AM

My 1st build finished lower

2 Attachment(s)
Well I finished my Spikes Tactical lower. It is CLEARLY evident that I am a novice because I marred the hell out of my lower. I'm gonna have to get a touch up marker. I'll tell you if your not experienced in working with all those tiny detents, springs, & roll pins, its quite a learning curve. A few times I had very small springs flying halfway across the room lol... Its a miracle I did not lose anything. But even with all the headache this first build gave me, I tested all the functions (trigger, hammer, safety, etc.) & everything works as its supposed to. I'm thinking about some upgrades for it later like some anti-roll trigger & hammer pins.Building an AR is one of the things that you just get better at the more you do it. I'm doing the upper tomorrow, & with any luck I'll bring it to the range later in the week.Attachment 132928Attachment 132929

sputnik1988 01-13-2014 01:46 AM

Painters tape can save a lot of heartache, I always use it on builds.

Looks like a good candidate for a duracoat/ceracoat job. Nice choice on parts.

capnklump 01-13-2014 01:51 AM

Thanks. I used a CMMG LPK. Magpul pistol grip & STR stock. Is the cerakote something you can do yourself or you gotta bring it somewhere??

sputnik1988 01-13-2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnklump (Post 1481279)
Thanks. I used a CMMG LPK. Magpul pistol grip & STR stock. Is the cerakote something you can do yourself or you gotta bring it somewhere??

It can be done but I never have. Another member, TexasGunner just did his AR awhile back, turned out great.

TexasGunner 01-13-2014 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by capnklump (Post 1481279)

You can do it yourself "IF" you have all of the equipment and quite a bit of patience. You have to do quite a bit of prep work to get quality results. I already had a sandblasting cabinet, air compressor, paint booth and ventilation system at work. I had a small curing oven for the resin pen blanks I cast, but I bought a bigger one for curing the coated gun parts. The only other thing I had to buy was an airbrush. I've now coated two of my own builds as well as a couple of others for my FFL for his builds. I actually just ordered 4 more colors last night! This is a process that I really enjoy. You can really make your gun stand out from everybody elses. Unless you are planning to do quite a few of them for yourself or others, then I'd recommend that you pay someone in your area to do it for you. Attachment 132936
Here's a picture of my 2 builds that I have Cerakoted thus far. One is done in Burnt Bronze. The other is Tungsten. Both are the H-Series Heat cured Cerakote.

okdonk 01-13-2014 08:21 AM

I use black electrical tape to cover the areas to prevent scratches.
Congrats on the first lower build/ lesson! Feel free to watch all the build video tutorials in youtube, free knowledge :)

McCakie 01-13-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGunner (Post 1481378)
You can do it yourself "IF" you have all of the equipment and quite a bit of patience. You have to do quite a bit of prep work to get quality results. I already had a sandblasting cabinet, air compressor, paint booth and ventilation system at work. I had a small curing oven for the resin pen blanks I cast, but I bought a bigger one for curing the coated gun parts. The only other thing I had to buy was an airbrush. I've now coated two of my own builds as well as a couple of others for my FFL for his builds. I actually just ordered 4 more colors last night! This is a process that I really enjoy. You can really make your gun stand out from everybody elses. Unless you are planning to do quite a few of them for yourself or others, then I'd recommend that you pay someone in your area to do it for you. Attachment 132936
Here's a picture of my 2 builds that I have Cerakoted thus far. One is done in Burnt Bronze. The other is Tungsten. Both are the H-Series Heat cured Cerakote.

Those both turned out perfect I like the final look of the tungsten a lot :)

danf_fl 01-13-2014 06:16 PM

As stated above, tape can prevent a lot of marks during assembly.

But more important is the correct punches.

TexasGunner 01-13-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
As stated above, tape can prevent a lot of marks during assembly. But more important is the correct punches.

Exactly! I always use tape and I bought a really good set of Starret punches. They are outstanding.

FrontierTCB 01-13-2014 07:02 PM

I started using a pair of channel locks with electrical tape wrapped around the jaws. Just get the pin lined up with a tiny amount of lube in it and slowly press it in. Then use a punch just to fully seat it.

Works great on bolt catch and T guard pins. No scratches. Though I usually tape off just to be safe.