My 1st AR, Scratch built, 1st range day!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My 1st AR, Scratch built, 1st range day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Today was seriously awesome!

I was finally able to take my first build to the range for its first shots. Learned a ton today I tuned the adjustable gas block, the first hold open was very cool to experience, I know, totally geeking out here, but hey... Why not?

Was given 50 rounds of hand loads to shoot, cousin wanted the brass back to setup different loads, what a way to start out... Sighting in irons on hand me down ammo lol

Figured out that despite being told that the 45 offset rail adapter for the tail end of the gun would work with the JP 45 offset hand guard front 2" rail for my irons, ... was basically rubbish... To get them to test zero at 25 yards, the front site was basically screwed almost the entire way up and out, and the windage on the rear site was almost totally right!

Took a step back, frustrated, I stopped, looked it over, thought about it, and remembered the vendor telling me, "it should" work... So, I removed the rear offset mount, pulled the Troy battle sight off and installed it on the spare 2" rail that I had.

Rest the sites to neutral, and test fired a couple rounds, and was almost spot on, a few clicks of front up and I was good to go!

All in all, shot 70 rounds, got the gas block tuned, got the sites on at 25' and ready for another day zeroing the irons for 50 yards. Range was single round, bench rest only...

I can't thank everyone that helped me get here enough Thanks! Now I just need an optic, and even more fun can ensue!!!!

Pics are before site change aka frustrated an after.

image-17823294.jpg   image-2938631194.jpg  

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Quentin Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just curious, why'd you go with the offset sights over regular folding? And nice rifle! I just got done with my first build and shot it a few days ago for the first time. Such a good feeling

Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
Just curious, why'd you go with the offset sights over regular folding? And nice rifle! I just got done with my first build and shot it a few days ago for the first time. Such a good feeling
My intention for this build was to be able to use it for run and gun, which I still have to find a place... But the offset irons allow me to have a longer range optic on top, and still be able to transition rapidly to make close shots with a quick rotate of the gun.

I don't know yet if I am going to stay with it or not. I still need to get my primary optic and then actually find a place that I can try it out doing what I envisioned doing The fun is just beginning for me.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros

My intention for this build was to be able to use it for run and gun, which I still have to find a place... But the offset irons allow me to have a longer range optic on top, and still be able to transition rapidly to make close shots with a quick rotate of the gun.

I don't know yet if I am going to stay with it or not. I still need to get my primary optic and then actually find a place that I can try it out doing what I envisioned doing The fun is just beginning for me.
The possibilities are endless! Barbies for men

Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Quote:

I know the off sets are cool, but you can co-witness through your optics and save the hassle of the off sets. The transition is much quicker that turning and getting your sight picture again. I tested a set and hated it, co witness is much better in every way. Try it and see for your self.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

I know the off sets are cool, but you can co-witness through your optics and save the hassle of the off sets. The transition is much quicker that turning and getting your sight picture again. I tested a set and hated it, co witness is much better in every way. Try it and see for your self.
Darn good info. Now since a noob, does cowitnessing work with greater than zero optics too?

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Darn good info. Now since a noob, does cowitnessing work with greater than zero optics too?
That it does not. Just red dots and RDS's

Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

That it does not. Just red dots and RDS's
Right on, thank you!

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First day at the range with you're very first build...

Lemme guess...you're already planning your second build?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88
First day at the range with you're very first build...

Lemme guess...you're already planning your second build?
Yup!!!!!!!

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album