This is my 1st - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

This is my 1st

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayettedave View Post
Timely discussion as the new issue of American Rifleman has an article that addresses exactly this question. The author ultimately comes to the conclusion that with the current state of technology such a regimen is, indeed, unnecessary, and particularly so in the case of a chrome-lined barrel.
Yeah, that's probably very true. I could see doing this with a very high quality Moly barrel. But for a short chrome-lined...it probably isn't going to improve things much. But it won't hurt, either.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #12

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I break in my new firearms just like I break in a new car; Shoot/drive them the way you intend to Shoot/drive them.

The engineer in me says why bother doing something you intend to change in the future? I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I fire 1 then clean x5
fire 2 then clean x5
fire 5 then clean. Done.
20 rds total. Doesn't take long.(except my rem7600- it was rough as hell!!)

It really does seem to smooth out the bore and make future cleanings quicker and easier. Doesnt copper foul as fast so stays accurate longer. IMO

Nice M4's guys. I've got a DPMS. They are alot of fun to shoot!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The point of the break-in cleaning is to remove the burrs left by machining the rifling. Yes, it's true if you have a high quality match grade bbl, it won't be as bad, but with a mass produce barrel, I would definitely recomend doing it. It doesn't take long, maybe an hour or so, and as Gatekeeper said, it increases accuracy in between cleanings and makes cleaning easier. Well worth the effort in my book.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Nice choice going with the flat top, I wish I had gotten a flat top when I got mine, it really gives you a lot of options when it comes to sights. After taking that 3 shot group, did you try to sight it in, if so, how did that go? Also, 150 ft is only 50 yards, not 75.

As far as breaking in the barrel, do what BKT said, you won't regret it. And as far and posting pictures, read this thread.

-Fred
Doh! you're right, math was never my strong suit, tell ya the truth I never heard of breakin in the barrel, I wouldn't even think it would require breakin in being that it is chrome lined. Is that in the instruction manual?No I didn't mess with sighting it any closer, I'm going to put a Barska Tactical Red Dot electro sight on her once I get enough cash together.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default pretty good price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
nice gun man, how much did that run you
I got it at Buds Gunshop.com with shipping, insurance and FFL fee $975 I was trying to keep it under $1,000

Old 10-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Your handguard rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
The only difference I see is barrel configuration,front sight and forearm stock. Yours is a fixed front sight, mine is the fold down model. And for some reason the model I got has 3 rails on the forearm stock for accessories.. Hmm..
Can you take a few pics of those rails or tell me where I can get them. I really want to add at least a single rail to the bottom of my existing handguard. I looked on Bushmasters page but they just offer the whole handguard setup

Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

The rails were already mounted on the forearm stock. The ones at 11 and 2 o'clock position are located as forward as possible. The one at 6 o'clock is actually able to be mounted in many locations for use with a pistol grip.
100_0538.jpg  

Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default That'll work

Thanks! yesIcarry, I think I saw those at my LGS just didn't realize what they were at the time.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=rjgnwdc;176739]this is my first Blackgun Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Carbine. I have shot my brother n Laws several times anyway I got it Saturday evening read the owners manual it said to clean my new gun before I shot it so I did and it was really easy but it hardly needed cleaning it wasn't over oiled or greased but it help me get to know it a little better. Next morning I take it to the range it's the NRA's range here in Fairfax and they just have an indoor and it's only 150 ft or 75 yard so I set up my target they have shooting rests and table and chair anywho I use the iron sights take 3 shots and they're slightly low of dead center but all 3 shot would fit in a 50 cent piece Sa-wheet! this is an excellent weapon should be a lot of fun.

This is my 1st - AR-15 Discussion

Newest Threads