Muzzle Brakes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brakes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Muzzle Brakes?

I've been mulling it over for a little while and I think I want to pick one up for my AR. A buddy of mine that I served with has the Surefire MB556K on his, but hasn't said much about it. There isn't much barrel rise or recoil to begin with, and that's the only thing that's really telling me not to waste the money on one.

Can anyone say different? Is it worth it to get an aftermarket muzzle brake? And if so, were the changes noticeable right away? And what brand would you recommend? I know of Surefire for their flashlights more so than anything. Thank you everyone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It makes a very noticeable difference in muzzle control, follow up shots, all adding up to quicker split times if you're on a timer. The Surefire MB556K is a good MB but very loud. I prefer the Battle Comps. They are the best of both worlds, not to loud, minimal concussion, A2 comparable flash signature.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

I think more of this depends on your shooting purposes. What a brake will do is decrease what little muzzle rise you have, but will increase the volume of your discharge. I find that flash hiders are more my thing...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have no use for a flash hider as at this point in my life I have no need to hide my signature from the enemy or optimize night vision capability. However the MB provides some positive returns.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

If your going to do 3-gun competition where breaks are used alot on AR's Id say do it. The muzzle rise hasnt affected my shooting so much to warrant paying for a good one though.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
If your going to do 3-gun competition where breaks are used alot on AR's Id say do it. The muzzle rise hasnt affected my shooting so much to warrant paying for a good one though.
I notice a big difference between using a muzzle brake and a flash hider when firing in quick succession. You can find a good pure muzzle brake for around 40 dollars. They're not gonna be as refined as a battle comp and flash is gonna be quite large but they definitely work well for a muzzle brake.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Alright, thanks everyone. Now I know what companies are good to go. But if it comes down to it, the Surefire is a safe bet.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-muzzle-devices-ra-xtc-pws-fsc556-pws-tto-surefire-556k-ares-armor-effin-54781/

Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome thank you, I tried doing a search earlier but got nothing, obviously I searched for the wrong thing. Thanks again for the reading material, I've got some homework to do.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have the long version of this on the SCAR-17. I haven't/won't try the gun without it on it. but I'm quite amazed at how little recoil the whole weapon has for a 7.62x51

PWS KAC556 - Short FSC556 for KAC QDSS-NT4 Suppressor ~$150

I've see many-a-rifle at the range with that very one and those guys seem to be pleased.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101