Muzzle Brake vs Flash Hiders? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brake vs Flash Hiders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18
Yeah I think I'm going with a flash hider, a muzzle brake would be to much at the end of the barrel anyway I think.

Is the Yankee Hill Phantom a good one?
Machine Flash Hider Compensator Phantom 5C2 Aggressive 1/2-28 Thread AR-15 Parkerized
I have never heard anything bad about the phantom, u should also check out the smith enterprise vortex, and the AAC blackout. They are really good flash hiders

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

my personal preference is for the A2 semi-birdcage flash hider. it serves two purposes. one it hides the flash and it also helps prevent dust from kicking up blocking your vision and giving your position away from the prone firing position.

most non military hiders kick up huge clouds of grit and dust under the muzzle

while other hiders look cool or mean i prefer functionality.

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The first number is the diameter of the piece that is threaded. The second number is the pitch.....how many threads per inch there are.

So 1/2"-28 means it is a 1/2 in diameter male thread on the barrel and also a 1/2" female thread on the accessory........ and the 28 means there are 28 threads per inch.

This is a relatively fine thread. If it was say a 1/2"-13....making it up here, I am a metric guy......but if it was a 1/2-13..that's only 13 threads per inch, so the lands and grooves would be much coarser......whereas the 28 per inch pitch, is 28 of them squeezed into the same 1"....much finer.

Generally you will find fine threads wherever precision and high quality is involved. Often on plumbing and construction type fasteners you will find coarser threads.

Coarse threads are easy to cross thread...to strip, compared to fine. But care should be involved any time you attach a fastener. Not to mention that stripping the female thread on an $80(?) or so item like a nice flash hider, and boogering the male barrel thread would be a PITA to correct.

Probably hard to do with these items being hardened and heat treated etc....but still. Always pays to work carefully.

Last edited by Fumbles; 11-01-2011 at 03:31 AM.