muzzle brake info. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > muzzle brake info.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have a previous world record holder in 600 yard and 1,000 yard benchrest competition in the next room. I asked him if he 'needed' a break as you requested and his response to me was:

"Hell no I don't need a damn muzzle break on my (competition)gun, it shoots better without it and I don't need all that extra noise around my shooting area".

For the record he has a custom built 6.5 x .284 bolt gun on a completely tuned, bedded, fine tuned, re-tuned and custom tuned action with every possible custom part you can imagine. But no muzzle break.

Your gun is beautiful the way it is it doesn't "need" a muzzle break - but personal choice is another matter all together.

Hey Quentin - I am back for a bit before the next phone conference. Wanted to talk AR's so I thought I would drop by....

JD

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #12

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i was talking more like 3gun, some thing were you have to have hits in a short time frame not groups, for just distance, i would have to agree with him, but i want the best of both worlds, like staying with in a 4" pattern with a 2 shot group in no more than 1 second's time at 300 yards.

just want to challenge my self

Last edited by Nathantc; 10-20-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
The two I posted will far out perform the battle comp, but the back blast and noise will be far greater.

The battle comp is just a fair compromise of noise flash and brake, IM just looking for all out brake with no bottom ports.

As for not needing one, well when I shoot for distance I like to see the hole form on paper threw the scope and be able to give a fallow up as fast as I can.

Try and tell the competition guys that a break is not needed. I want distance and speed. Therefore I need a brake.
Aren't the things listed in bold part of of overall performance?

You have to keep in mind the reasons the BC was constructed. It's a brake geared toward professionals in need of something that will allow faster follow-up shots yet not disturb they guys to his left and right especially inside dwellings.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have and love the Battle comp on my AR. It is very effective at reducing muzzle climb, while not producing a huge flash at night or severe back/side blast.
For a competition only gun, where flash isn't a worry and side blast isn't a concern(except for the RO) I'd recommend trying a Mikulek Comp. The ones I've tried seemed to completely eliminate recoil and muzzle rise. Really no back-blast as a shooter when running one in carbine competitions. Much cheaper than other offerings at $39.99 from Brownells.
Excellent product for competition, but my AR was also built for the possibility of "social work" and I couldn't accept the flash and side-blast it adds, thats why I went with the Battle-comp
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down