Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brake changing POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default Muzzle Brake changing POI

I installed a Precision Armament M11 on a Bushy 308 ORC. The rifle was sighted in well with the POI about 2 inches above the POA at 100 yards. The rifle was in a vise when the A2 hider was removed there were flats on it to aid in removal. The M11 was threaded on it is snug not tight because I haven't ordered the proper shims. When I test fired it the POI had went down in a straight line exactly 5 inches.
The scope or rifle wasn't bumped during my work and the scope adjusted up and stayed put, it's hard to imagine the brake changed the bullet flight that much but that's the way it seems.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8390 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Believe it. different weight, isn't it? Changed the barrel harmonics. Browning uses a sliding weight to tune POI on some of their rifles.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I had a muzzle brake installed on my 375H&H - the gunsmith said I'd have to sight it in again and he was right. I think you lose some velocity with a brake but, regardless of the reason, it can change POI.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I'm a believer now just shocked at how much it moved at that range.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 03-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Indeed - it would be interesting to see FPS measurements before & after the brake.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8390 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

It's not just the speed of the bullet. Barrel whips a tad when you shoot. Bullet HAD been leaving barrel on an UP swing. Different weight on the muzzle, different vibration pattern- bullet now leaving on a DOWN swing. You can't see it- too fast for the unaided eye- but the vibration is there. Trust me.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

5 inches seems like alot though.

Almost always the pattern opens up a bit too. Guns without muzzle devices are simply more accurate. Forget the proper torque for installing the device for the moment. There is backpressure that affects accuracy. The change could also be due to some related, unbalanced, force.

I like the Micor breaks because the slots are angled to match the twist of the rifle you put them on and the escaping gases are most efficiently vented. OMG, accuracy-wise, it's like there's no muzzle device on the gun but the Micor works better than standard issue for flash suppresion and at least as well on muzzle flip!

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5273 Times on 2749 Posts
Likes Given: 333

muzzle brakes suppressors flashhiders have no effect on velocity. that only happens in call of duty

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I think your brake is off center on your barrel. Take the brake off and look into it and see if any lead or copper is shearing off inside of it.

You replaced a shorter flash hider with a longer muzzle brake. It could be your barrel end threads aren't centered to the bore, or the same thing could be wrong with the brake, occasionally both are off.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

My buddies long distance target .308 is dead nuts with his custom hand loads . He put a brake on it and it would shoot about 15" high with the same ammo even in a shooting jig he uses to sight stuff in with .. Take the brake back off and its right on . I though that was pretty crazy that it was off that far .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens