Muzzle Brake Alignment - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brake Alignment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I can't get it off. No I am not in a ban state. I'll just have the armorer fix it. This is my first build. I don't wanna break anything.
You would need a barrel block and a vice to do that. More bubbasmiths that work at gunstores ruin good ar15 using just an action block for putting on muzzle devices than anything. Its a common mistake.

Im sure you have heard folks complain about it too. "Took my ar in to get a muzzle device installed, now it the sights dont line up." That happens when excessive torque is applied using an action block and the barrel index pin cams against the reciever index notch.

To any work on the muzzle device the gas system has to be removed and the barrel clamped securely in a vice. I use a block of hardwood drilled out to 5/8 the diameter of the barrel the cut the block in half clean the barrel in the clamping location close to the muzzle as is practical. Put some rosin on the blocks clamp everything in the vice tight so it can be worked on without damaging the gas system or reciever.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

You would need a barrel block and a vice to do that. More bubbasmiths that work at gunstores ruin good ar15 using just an action block for putting on muzzle devices than anything. Its a common mistake.

Im sure you have heard folks complain about it too. "Took my ar in to get a muzzle device installed, now it the sights dont line up." That happens when excessive torque is applied using an action block and the barrel index pin cams against the reciever index notch.

To any work on the muzzle device the gas system has to be removed and the barrel clamped securely in a vice. I use a block of hardwood drilled out to 5/8 the diameter of the barrel the cut the block in half clean the barrel in the clamping location close to the muzzle as is practical. Put some rosin on the blocks clamp everything in the vice tight so it can be worked on without damaging the gas system or reciever.
I think the original smith did it that way. My sights and barrel are lined up properly. Just not the muzzle device.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #23

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

man, the way that comp is installed, its gonna push to the left. You're not gonna like that.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I think the original smith did it that way. My sights and barrel are lined up properly. Just not the muzzle device.
You cant tell about the alignment shifting till you shoot it. The movement is not detectable by naked eye.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

You cant tell about the alignment shifting till you shoot it. The movement is not detectable by naked eye.
I'm not gonna shoot until the armorer I dropped it off to on Monday fixes it. It will be done right.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Hopefully the first rtard didnt bugger your gun up with overtorquing

Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Hopefully the first rtard didnt bugger your gun up with overtorquing
Here's hoping

Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I got my rifle back today. He said the other gunsmith is an idiot. The muzzle brake wasn't indexed right. They should know that. He fixed it. Also asked about the muzzle being constricted from overtightening. He said it was nowhere near that tight and that it was fine.

Now I find out the original dumbsmith did not use any shims when he installed the new barrel nut for the BAR Handguard. He said it is fine except that if the original dumbsmith went over 70lbs/ft. on the barrel nut, he may have stretched the threads.

So if you live in Louisville, Kentucky, I highly urge you to NOT take any guns to Firearms Service Center to be worked on. Go to 111 Guns. Ask for Angelo. He is the Armorer for the local PD.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i had that happen straight from the factory with my savage model 10 (now the wife's model 10) it was so buggered up i had to order inside and outside thread repair tools to fix it!! the barrel nut was on so tight i had to cut it off!! this is after heating it to kill any locktite if it was on there. thread repair tools are a great handy thing to have if you do a lot of weapon repair or do a lot of restoration. overtorque isnt the only condition that can damage threads.