Muzzle Brake Alignment - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brake Alignment

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,599
Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

Hopefully he didnt torque it down over 30ftlbs. Once you go over that mark it constricts the muzzle and your accuracy goes to hell.

Typically i set my wrench for 30lbs and torque until its lined up or hits 30ftlbs. Since thats a non directional brake, meaning it doesnt compensate for bullet torque it should be lined up.

Kinda why i prefer to diy one simple jobs like this.



__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Hopefully he didnt torque it down over 30ftlbs. Once you go over that mark it constricts the muzzle and your accuracy goes to hell.

Typically i set my wrench for 30lbs and torque until its lined up or hits 30ftlbs. Since thats a non directional brake, meaning it doesnt compensate for bullet torque it should be lined up.

Kinda why i prefer to diy one simple jobs like this.
Judging by the fact I can't get it off, I'd say he went over the 30ft lbs mark.


__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Took it the original place that installed the Dynacomp and showed a guy. He said it won't cause any problems. I told him it should be aligned. He told me they can do it but it would take a few days. I decided to take it to another gun store that has an armorer. Everyone employee took one look at it and said it wasn't right. I left it with them and the armorer will call me and let me know what's up. I'm thinking of having the barrel chopped and the muzzle brake pinned. Anyone have any experience with that?

__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Are you in a ban state? If not I'd leave the barrel 16" and not pin the muzzle device. Why go to all that trouble for 1.5", index it and torque it properly.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Are you in a ban state? If not I'd leave the barrel 16" and not pin the muzzle device. Why go to all that trouble for 1.5", index it and torque it properly.
I can't get it off. No I am not in a ban state. I'll just have the armorer fix it. This is my first build. I don't wanna break anything.
__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

DOn't cut your barrel.

__________________
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
DOn't cut your barrel.
I'm not going to. I'm just gonna have the armorer index the Dynacomp properly.
__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoovco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over the place
Posts: 665
Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I wrote a bit on aligning muzzle devices a bit ago ... It's pretty easy. I'll post it here when I find it.

__________________
"Inspirational Quote" - Someone Inspirational
hoovco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hoovco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: All over the place
Posts: 665
Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

A threaded barrel with a thread pitch of 5/8 - 24 has a 5/8" inch threaded diameter and 24 threads per inch of threaded barrel.

Every 360 degree turn of a device advances the device 1/24th of an inch.

1/24 = 0.04166666666 inch

0.04166666666/ 360 = 0.00011574074

Every degree turned advances the device 0.00011574074 inch

So if my device, torqued down to spec is advanced 45 degrees ahead of being timed, I would have to create a shim that is 0.00520833333 inch.

__________________
"Inspirational Quote" - Someone Inspirational
hoovco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 865
Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco
A threaded barrel with a thread pitch of 5/8 - 24 has a 5/8" inch threaded diameter and 24 threads per inch of threaded barrel.

Every 360 degree turn of a device advances the device 1/24th of an inch.

1/24 = 0.04166666666 inch

0.04166666666/ 360 = 0.00011574074

Every degree turned advances the device 0.00011574074 inch

So if my device, torqued down to spec is advanced 45 degrees ahead of being timed, I would have to create a shim that is 0.00520833333 inch.
Lol. I'm such a noob. I have no Idea what any of that means.


__________________

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Squawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Muzzle brake elfmdl Firearm Accessories & Gear 11 08-15-2012 03:41 PM
muzzle brake powg Gunsmithing Forum 5 02-18-2011 01:25 AM
S & W - MP AR 15-22 - Muzzle Brake realgeorge .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 7 12-21-2010 04:45 PM
.50 BMG muzzle brake...on a .22 zhuk The Club House 1 10-28-2010 10:42 PM
MAK 90 Muzzle Brake Nate2003 AK & SKS Discussion 22 05-31-2009 05:05 AM