Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Muzzle Brake Alignment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Muzzle Brake Alignment

I recently had a Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme installed by a local gunsmith. While looking it over when I got home, I noticed the Dynacomp was not directly aligned with the bayonet lug. I was under the impression it needs to be directly aligned. Is this right or should I have it looked at again?

image-2249078658.jpg  

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This picture might be a little clearer. Thoughts?

image-3653638256.jpg  

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I believe it won't make a noticeable performance difference. But I would definitely want it lined up nice and symmetrical for aesthetic reasons.

I would take it back and ask if he'd fix it. If not, or is he gives you a hassle, I wouldn't do business with him again.

I asked opinions on a local Smith, if I should do future business with him because I caught him in a lie. The consensus was, "walk away". I'd only bought a single part, and I felt I got a good price, so i decided to give him another shot. Well... I lost my mag release retainer, and when he tried to bend me over for 20 bucks on a new one, that was all the further convincing I needed.

A good Smith is hard to come by. Bad ones are a dime a dozen it seems. Ask him to make it right.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I believe it won't make a noticeable performance difference. But I would definitely want it lined up nice and symmetrical for aesthetic reasons.

I would take it back and ask if he'd fix it. If not, or is he gives you a hassle, I wouldn't do business with him again.

I asked opinions on a local Smith, if I should do future business with him because I caught him in a lie. The consensus was, "walk away". I'd only bought a single part, and I felt I got a good price, so i decided to give him another shot. Well... I lost my mag release retainer, and when he tried to bend me over for 20 bucks on a new one, that was all the further convincing I needed.

A good Smith is hard to come by. Bad ones are a dime a dozen it seems. Ask him to make it right.
I'm just wondering if he can make it right. I took out my armorers wrench to see if there was any play in it either way and there is not. I'm wondering if I just need a thinner crush washer to give it that 1/6 more turn that it needs.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

It will make a small difference. The brake effect will not be symetrically pointed in the right direction and the downward signature will be greater than it should be (blowing dust around to show your position). the 'smith knows this is a weak job. The crush washer may be all used up and can't be tightend anymore (probably why he stopped torquing it down). So, maybe you need a different washer. I'd correct it if reasonably done, but the difference will be small, again, but there.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I'm just wondering if he can make it right. I took out my armorers wrench to see if there was any play in it either way and there is not. I'm wondering if I just need a thinner crush washer to give it that 1/6 more turn that it needs.
LOL I just wrote that. CAREFUL with that muzzle!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you want it pretty line it up. If you want it to work, at least
give it a try the way it is first. If you are a right handed shooter,
the muzzle brake usually ends up clocked 5-15 degrees clockwise
(looking from the butt) to get the gun to recoil straight back
without an annoying little flip to the right.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
If you want it pretty line it up. If you want it to work, at least
give it a try the way it is first. If you are a right handed shooter,
the muzzle brake usually ends up clocked 5-15 degrees clockwise
(looking from the butt) to get the gun to recoil straight back
without an annoying little flip to the right.
I'm going to take it to a different gunsmith that does a lot more work with AR15s and see what he thinks. I'm more worried about performance over cosmetics. But the man Barbie in me wants it straight as string. I'm also considering having the barrel chopped 1.5 inches and having the muzzle brake pinned. I'll see what he says. Thanks for the input FTF members.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I installed my dynacomp, it was off just like yours is. I just took sand paper, laid it on a flat surface, and ran the crush washer over it to take off enough material to where the comp is indexed correctly when torqued down. Then cold blued the bare steel and installed.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi
When I installed my dynacomp, it was off just like yours is. I just took sand paper, laid it on a flat surface, and ran the crush washer over it to take off enough material to where the comp is indexed correctly when torqued down. Then cold blued the bare steel and installed.
Cool. Will give that a try.