muzzle brake? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Not really a review, more like simple product descriptions. Not like they tested and evaluaed any models....

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Not really a review, more like simple product descriptions. Not like they tested and evaluaed any models....
Hey, these days that's a typical magazine review!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hey, these days that's a typical magazine review!
Honestly, I don't really know of a empirical what to measure recoil reduction and muzzle rise without use of specialize equipment that probably 99.9 percent of the population doesn't access to. Its all seat of the pants evaluation, but that's all just subjective observation. But that article doesn't even do that. If they had each and every muzzle device and shot it like 10 rounds out of each one, it'd really be worth reading. But they didn't even do that........

I was thinking of string up my rifle and video taping the recoil impulse, but there are so many factors to consider, and peoples setups are so different. Ie powder charges, projectile weights, barrel length, gas system lengths, buffer weights, overall rifle weight, etc etc.

One thing I learned when tuning the Effin A, is even how you hold the rifle affects how much muzzle rise you get. I tuned it so that I only have a tiny smidgeon of muzzle rise, my friend says it pushes down, and my other friends says it pushes up and to left.

So, yeah, its not an easy task.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #14

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Good points, AT.

Myself, even though I know there are measurable advantages to muzzle brakes, on a semiauto AR I doubt the significance is enough to justify giving up adequate flash reduction (which could be a real issue in low light) and increasing the concussive effect to the sides. Anyway though many won't agree, the tried and true A2 flash hider has a lot going for it and there is little need to be in a big hurry to replace it. I'd say stick with it until you know it's letting you down.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-24-2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: How could I use "break" instead of "brake"!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good points, AT.

Myself, even though I know there are measurable advantages to muzzle breaks, on a semiauto AR I doubt the significance is enough to justify giving up adequate flash reduction (which could be a real issue in low light) and increasing the concussive effect to the sides. Anyway though many won't agree, the tried and true A2 flash hider has a lot going for it and there is little need to be in a big hurry to replace it. I'd say stick with it until you know it's letting you down.
A lot of people would agree with you too. Also the newer A2 style flash hiders don't have ports on the bottom so they do also do a little compensation.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
...best maximum recoil mitigation - Surefire MB556
best compensation - Ares Armor Effin-A

lookup my thread history I did a totally informal review of a few rifles with different brakes/comps
Those were the two I was looking at the most, I could never find any SF's in stock online, so I ended up picking up the Effin-A, and have zero complaints. Good looking comp, with the ability to fine tune it to your rifle to reduce barrel rise/felt recoil, makes it a winner in my book, especially since its on the low-medium price range ($99). If I get another AR, I'll definitely be on the hunt for a SF. Although, the Effin-A has dramatically changed the sound of the shots fired w/o a doubt. It won't make you the "Range A-Hole", but it will definitely draw some looks, that's for damn sure. When I first took mine out for test, I had several people ask me if I was shooting an AR-10, when I told them it was an AR-15, and I was only shooting Federal FMJBT 62gr, nothing special, it made some heads turn, and when they shot it, they fell in love with it.

The MB556, and Effin would definitely get my vote if someone asked me my favorites/preferences.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #17

I'd honestly like to get my hands on the DPMS Miculek, JP Enterprises Tank or Benny Cooley, and Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. But honestly after shooting a MB556 i don't know how much more recoil mitigation you really need....it shoots like a .22lr.