Mp 15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mp 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Dots and scopes do the same thing. They help you aim.

But they differ immensely on how you use them.

Scopes are great for precision work.

Red dots are for speed. Not precision. Once you take a class or run some drills you will appreciate red dots. They are so fast its like cheating.
Agreed. I don't have much experience with red dots, but with my holo getting on target is pretty much effortless

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have a M&P15 with an Eotec 512. Its a great setup. I would get the optics and spare mags somewhere besides Cabelas. I recently got some 30 round PMags for $11 each when they are $17 at Cabelas.

If you dont mind me asking where in PA are you? Im about an 2 hours from Cabelas at the PA/DE/NJ lines and wont mind letting you see my setup if your not too far.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With that money if I were you I would spend a bit more on the rifle and save for the optics;-). BCM, LMT, NOVESKE, DD, Colt any of those will serve you well even with just irons for awhile!

That's just my $.02 though;-)

Fetep

Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #24

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
Agreed. I don't have much experience with red dots, but with my holo getting on target is pretty much effortless
Experienced shooters practice consistent check welds from the low ready position to speed up sight acqusition. Red dots don't need a consistent check weld for sight acqusition. A consistent check weld will still speed thing up but a perfect weld to line up your sights is not needed. So its like cheating. You get to skip a step by not having to line up your sights. Just find the dot, and put the dot on target, squeeze.

And for a defensive role, dot have probably the most important advantage: both eyes on target.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #25

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Experienced shooters practice consistent check welds from the low ready position to speed up sight acqusition. Red dots don't need a consistent check weld for sight acqusition. A consistent check weld will still speed thing up but a perfect weld to line up your sights is not needed. So its like cheating. You get to skip a step by not having to line up your sights. Just find the dot, and put the dot on target, squeeze.

And for a defensive role, dot have probably the most important advantage: both eyes on target.
And the choir stands to sing

Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks guys

I am on my way to a gun shop that carries both the DPMS Oracle and the MP 15 for about the same money - I will make the decision after a side by side comparison based on which one seems to be the best bang for the buck and how they feel.

I have decided to purchase the Vortex StrikeFire - reviews are good and it is rated very high - not an Aimpoint but 1/3 the money too and considered great value for the money - and compares well. Is there a see through mount for this scope you would recommend? I want to keep iron sights on it for back up.

I am still looking for recommendations for a vertical forearm grip - I will mount this as far forward as possible to increase steadiness when firing - if I have to go into tight spots I can just bring my weak hand back to the mag well as we were taught when I was in the USAF.

As time goes on I will add ambidextrous accessories to make the gun more user friendly for me.

Thanks for all the help

Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #27

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHickam
Thanks guys

I am on my way to a gun shop that carries both the DPMS Oracle and the MP 15 for about the same money - I will make the decision after a side by side comparison based on which one seems to be the best bang for the buck and how they feel.

I have decided to purchase the Vortex StrikeFire - reviews are good and it is rated very high - not an Aimpoint but 1/3 the money too and considered great value for the money - and compares well. Is there a see through mount for this scope you would recommend? I want to keep iron sights on it for back up.

I am still looking for recommendations for a vertical forearm grip - I will mount this as far forward as possible to increase steadiness when firing - if I have to go into tight spots I can just bring my weak hand back to the mag well as we were taught when I was in the USAF.

As time goes on I will add ambidextrous accessories to make the gun more user friendly for me.

Thanks for all the help
Visual inspection beyond making sure things are staked properly and the feed ramps are gtg won't get you far.

The Army taught that magwell junk too. It is a compromise to proper technique. Not trying to tell anyone what to do but there's a reason guys went away from the magwell grip years ago.

Just trying to help you get the most out of your time and money

Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

the closer your hands are together the less control and stability you have in unsupported shooting.

moving the forehand back to the magwell means less control

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #29

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would honestly hold off on buying a vert foregrip. Get your dot, practice and see if you even need it. Some people like them, some people don't, some people prefer AVGs, some people don't see the need for one. I had vert grips, and avgs, and sold them all, wasted money and time. Don't need it.

I will say tho, that I don't regret buying them, as I like to try everything out and see if it works for me...but in the interest of saving you some cashola, try out your gun first before buying stuff like that.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #30

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I would honestly hold off on buying a vert foregrip. Get your dot, practice and see if you even need it. Some people like them, some people don't, some people prefer AVGs, some people don't see the need for one. I had vert grips, and avgs, and sold them all, wasted money and time. Don't need it.

I will say tho, that I don't regret buying them, as I like to try everything out and see if it works for me...but in the interest of saving you some cashola, try out your gun first before buying stuff like that.
Personally, I like the angled foregrip. Works fantastic. As a caveat, however, it really depends how big your hands are and what type of foreend you're running.
With my angled, I can wrap my hands around it, and still have a thumb over grip.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?