Mp 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Mp 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Mp 15

Okay I am wondering what options you would all recommend for accessorizing an S & W MP 15 Sport with optics, magazines and other stuff to keep it under $1450 total

Looking for optics that can be used with iron sights in case of failure, tripod or vertical grip, lights and stuff - this is gonna be for home defense and defense of self if something really bad happens

Suggestions - recommendations appreciated?

Thanks

Last edited by KHickam; 05-18-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

you looking to spend 1450 on the gun and accessories or just the accessories??

if gun and accessories i would suggest getting the best rifle you can then save up for optics gear etc. if you hit the top end. a damn good rifle and iron sights will go a long way while your looking at optics

if you already have the gun and that is the extras budget. then you can go all the way to acog land or aimpoint or eotech or nightforce or nikon or vortex and lots of others.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint. EoTech makes a nice micro as well (XPS series). As far as other accessories learning what you need is better than putting a bunch of stuff on an AR to find out it doesn't work for you. Shoot the AR a lot then add rails, grips, etc. as you NEED them or determine they compliments your skill level.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint.
While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.
Exactly. I was introducing him to the high and middle road of RDS.

I didn't mention magazines. In my eyes PMags are gtg.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories

Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHickam View Post
Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories
Purchase a H1 w/ ADM QD mount and call it good. The other stuff you can add as you figure out what works best for you. If not you'll end up w/ a big box of parts you don't use. Ask me how I know

Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?

Last edited by KHickam; 05-18-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I just have one question.
Why would you want any magnification for home defense?
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHickam
Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?
Like mm13 eluded to a magnified optic isn't ideal for shooting w/i your normal defensive distances.

Though not an Aimpoint the Primary Arms micro RDS is nice and under $200 w/ mount.

The Aimpoint is very popular for a reason. It works very well. Battery life alone is reason enough to like it. 5 years of constant on at the medium setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I just have one question.
Why would you want any magnification for home defense?
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.
Don't look at what LEOs use as a measuring stick. They rarely use them and they are usually purchased by suits.