Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Mp 15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/mp-15-a-64686/)

KHickam 05-17-2012 11:43 PM

Mp 15

Okay I am wondering what options you would all recommend for accessorizing an S & W MP 15 Sport with optics, magazines and other stuff to keep it under $1450 total

Looking for optics that can be used with iron sights in case of failure, tripod or vertical grip, lights and stuff - this is gonna be for home defense and defense of self if something really bad happens

Suggestions - recommendations appreciated?

Thanks

JonM 05-17-2012 11:48 PM

you looking to spend 1450 on the gun and accessories or just the accessories??

if gun and accessories i would suggest getting the best rifle you can then save up for optics gear etc. if you hit the top end. a damn good rifle and iron sights will go a long way while your looking at optics

if you already have the gun and that is the extras budget. then you can go all the way to acog land or aimpoint or eotech or nightforce or nikon or vortex and lots of others.

MikeJK 05-17-2012 11:50 PM

I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint. EoTech makes a nice micro as well (XPS series). As far as other accessories learning what you need is better than putting a bunch of stuff on an AR to find out it doesn't work for you. Shoot the AR a lot then add rails, grips, etc. as you NEED them or determine they compliments your skill level.

BenLuby 05-17-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 805646)
I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint.

While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.

MikeJK 05-18-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 805650)
While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.

Exactly. I was introducing him to the high and middle road of RDS.

I didn't mention magazines. In my eyes PMags are gtg.

KHickam 05-18-2012 12:17 AM

Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories

MikeJK 05-18-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHickam (Post 805686)
Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories

Purchase a H1 w/ ADM QD mount and call it good. The other stuff you can add as you figure out what works best for you. If not you'll end up w/ a big box of parts you don't use. Ask me how I know :)

KHickam 05-18-2012 12:40 AM

Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?

mountainman13 05-18-2012 12:55 AM

I just have one question.
Why would you want any magnification for home defense?
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.

MikeJK 05-18-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHickam
Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?

Like mm13 eluded to a magnified optic isn't ideal for shooting w/i your normal defensive distances.

Though not an Aimpoint the Primary Arms micro RDS is nice and under $200 w/ mount.

The Aimpoint is very popular for a reason. It works very well. Battery life alone is reason enough to like it. 5 years of constant on at the medium setting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I just have one question.
Why would you want any magnification for home defense?
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.

Don't look at what LEOs use as a measuring stick. They rarely use them and they are usually purchased by suits.