most popular gas system di direct impingement or gas piston? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

most popular gas system di direct impingement or gas piston?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abc1911 View Post
What do you have? What do you prefer?
I have both. Depends on what you use it for as to which is better. If you are firing tens of thousands of rounds a year through the same rifle, a piston might be advantageous. A couple of hundred rounds a month, not so much so. If you are getting your first AR, go with a teir 1 DI and it will eat whatever ammo you feed it.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Liked 57 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I have both types also, and would go to war with either one.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator View Post
I have both types also, and would go to war with either one.
I built mine. A lot of the reliability issues depends on who built it with what parts.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #14

There are probably 2 types of people who beleive that the piston is light years above the DI: those who were in the service, and had negligent armorors and/or leaders who passed the blame off on the user for not getting their gun white glove clean before firing, and those who purchased a DI that was either built improperly, or had defective parts. I have been at the butt end of both scenarios, and I feel the pain. However, replacing a bottom of the barrel DI with a bottom of the barrel piston is just swapping one set of problems for another. There are companies like HK and POF who make the top of the line piston systems which make the concept attractive, and they show their AR type rifles shooting from underwater, after pulling them out of the sand, etc, and there are the bottom feeders like Vulcan/Blackthorne which make guns that you better be wearing ballistic protection if you shoot, whether it be piston or DI. My point is crap is crap, whether it be DI or piston.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Honestly it depends upon what the individual wants. In all my years with the AR-15 Rifle System and Direct Gas Impingement system I have never had any problems. This is due to the fact that all the weapons I have had has the correct Gas Port Hole and Buffer installed. So when it comes to reliability there are no difference in reliability which is the main factor. One thing I would suggest is that one needs to always cleaning the bore of the rifle with the Front Sight in the up wright position not in the down position allowing solvent to drain into the gas port hole. You have a hydraulic action when pushing the cleaning patch and solvent as well as gravity which could cause a problem. The Gas Piston System must also have the correct Gas Port Hole dimension. There are issues where people talk about the Gas Piston System keeping the Receiver cleaner and there is some truth to that. But who allows their weapon to get dirty to the point that either system stops working. Not most of us for sure. The only other issue is the AR Gas Piston System are more expensive. One other caution! Never buy a retrofit kit that is not completely designed to be a Piston System.
The Cam pin will eat out aluminum on the interior of the Receiver. The Bolt Carrier will tilt as it is forced back and begin to damage the Receiver, Extension Tube and Buffer Retainer area of the weapon. So for advise if you choose a Gas Piston System be sure it was designed from the ground up to be a Piston System. The one I prefer over the others is the Adams Arms Upper Receiver.
There are others out there that are OK!

Man I have been cleaning AR's for a zillion years. See even us old guys can learn something here. Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
The one I prefer over the others is the Adams Arms Upper Receiver.

Just don't let those idiots from Red Jacket install it!!

I installed an ARES Black Lightning piston kit when they first came out, and haven't had any problems with it. Installed a couple on friends guns too, and no issues. I think Bushmaster bought their piston kits and marketed them under their own name.